1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Aug/Sep 2020 Resign? DON’T

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by rouxx, Apr 23, 2020.

1. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Something strange is happening in Vietnam. I don't know what it is, but they have one of the lowest testing rates outside of the third world, have had 241 people recover from the virus and haven't had a single death. If the next to have an outcome dies that makes a CFR of 0.4%. Take in to account asymptomatic cases and apparently the coronavirus is pretty much on par with seasonal flu for Vietnam.

What's going on?

2. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

Vietnam has, when cases were detected, done extensive track and trace and has quarantined entire neighbourhoods.That quaratine means regular disinfection and the daily delivery of food and other essentials so that residents do not need to leave the zone.

The track and trace includes finding out how the infected patient entered Vietnam, tracing all passengers on the same flight and their contacts.

Vietnam is an amazing country and in @johnnyb__123 's position I'd be definitely hanging on and hoping for the best.

rouxx and Luvsskiing like this.
  3. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Even with effective track and trace 241 recoveries and no deaths would mean that either they are genetically at an advantage, the virus had mutated or something else was afoot

4. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 Occasional commenter

Only 6% of the population are above the age of 65 (compared to, say 22% for Germany), and as we know, the older you are, the greater the chance of complications or death.
    Don't think there's any need for conspiracy theories here.

5. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

They also closed their borders (and schools) very early and imposed proper quarantine and checks for those arriving.

6. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Non of these affect IFR

Yeah they do have a very young population (median 30) but I don't think even this could account for not a single death.

For the record, I believe Vietnam's numbers. I don't believe most of Europe's

7. johnnyb__123

johnnyb__123 New commenter

Hey thanks for all the comments guys. Really appreciate you taking the time to answer. And on balance, feel reassured. Have a great day!

8. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

'a prestigious school in Vietnam' Just for my own personal satisfaction can you give us a clue to this schools name (I said a clue don't forget!) as I cannot recall a 'prestigious' school in Vietnam from my time there! Some good ones certainly, some OK ones, as well as some downright dodgey ones, but - 'prestigious'?

BTW: if it is the one in Hanoi, this school has no connection whatsoever with the United Nations and they have been told many times to take references to it out of their name.

9. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

On Vietnam:

We are similar albeit the virus reached Africa later.

But very early closing of borders and lockdown. Compulsory quarantine in gov facility and tracing of contacts. Young population.

Around 280 cases
    140 recovered approx
    Zero deaths

Ok I have to accept there may be more in the community as we dont have the testing capability but there certainly aren't dead bodies in the streets and I live a stones throw from major hospital and see nothing amiss.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  10. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I don't doubt that Vietnam are honestly reporting on their figures. I think it raises a LOT of questions about what's happening in Europe. Using Vietnam's figures as an example the UK must have a minimum of 5 million infections.

Anyway, back on topic, I would say Vietnam is the safest possible of bets. Have an awesome time!

11. johnnyb__123

johnnyb__123 New commenter

I’ll DM you if you want if I can work out how to do it

12. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

The British one in HCMC is one of the best schools in Asia IMO.

yasf likes this.
  13. TinyTeacher92

TinyTeacher92 New commenter

I'm interested to know which are the prestigious schools in HCMC. Anybody willing to pm me or write a clue on here?

14. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

I don't like the word prestigous, but there are 4 well run schools in HCMC.

British
    International*
    Non profit in D7
    Alphabet school*

* Although these haven't covered themself in glory during E-Learning

15. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

'The British one in HCMC is one of the best schools in Asia IMO.'

Under its previous owner and founder it was OK but since it was bought out by Ford Anglia (he now works for them as the Regional Managing Director, Southeast Asia and Middle East) I would be surprised if it was still?

dumbbells66 likes this.
  16. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

It's fairly clear you haven't worked at the school and dont know too much about it, the founder and owner is not the regional director. I use to work there, left a year ago, great school, you are well looked after, staff and parents very happy and amazing students.

Be careful when giving old, 3rd hand and incorrect information about schools.

yasf likes this.
  17. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 Occasional commenter

There's a thread over on the International School Review site forums, stating that a certain school claiming affiliation to a global organisation of Nations just reigned on 10 of their 20/21 cohort...

18. Lonit

Lonit New commenter

I am in the same situation, except that I am already working internationally. I had to decide if I was leaving my current position in November, and I decided to leave. My post has already been filled. I got offered a job in Thailand way back in January for the new school year. If my new school in Thailand decides to change their mind I will be left without a job and without a home come July. I think there may be many people who had to make a decision to resign before we had any idea that this was coming. I am very worried. I have a family to support.

19. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Yes, job offers are being withdrawn - there’s one on workplace dilemmas who has had an offer in Dubai withdrawn. I have no doubt there will be more and even teachers, like myself, who think they are secure have reason to be prepared for upheavals.

So if you have a secure job. Don’t resign.

20. IndigoViolence

IndigoViolence New commenter

I’ve just read it- sounds similar to one post on here who was going travelling for a few months then onto Dubai.

I just hope they are able to sort themselves. This is a very real situation for lots and I’m amazed that so many are still taking the leap.