1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Aug/Sep 2020 Resign? DON’T

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by rouxx, Apr 23, 2020.

1. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

As the UK resignation date approaches I would suggest a blanket statement applies to whatever country you are hoping to go to.

DO NOT resign.

No one has a crystal ball. A country that is relatively OK now could be a disaster zone then.

International travel will be challenging with those who already have residence being the first allowed in.

Any school making promises of honoring contracts (when you haven’t even started working for them) etc is flying a bright red flag just to hedge their own bets. No school knows and the only honest answer from admin is “we are hoping/intending/planning...”

I expect schools in a lot of places will reopen (with restrictions) in September. If you have already resigned or you are not in the country of your school. Start making plan B and C.

I realise it’s hard to accept a dream opportunity is likely to pass you by and it will be even more galling if you find out then that you could have gone...but it’s a gamble only a few can afford to take. And there will be other opportunities.

2. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Couldn't agree more.

3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Another YES vote.

But seriously consider if you are in the UK and compare the Free National Health Service to any private insurance policy a school might offer, ESPECIALLY if you have children!

Also compare the UK benefits for sick pay, unemployment and housing compared to any country you may wish to work in the world. You will not get any!

Now is not the time to make a leap of faith.

Luvsskiing and rouxx like this.
  4. IndigoViolence

IndigoViolence New commenter

Here you go @Wishfulglobetrotter and @kneebone this is the general consensus.

SLT and those in leadership will be along soon to say they are above all of this and will honor contracts... truth is they won’t unless there are bum on seats and their respective governments are issuing visas.

A school takes a good few years to be established and profitable - rely on people having jobs- anyone who doesn’t have a job can’t pay fees. Simple really. It’s a big expense for companies and individuals who could get free places at home. The more schools there are, more competition for places. Expensive (tier 1) and larger companies of schools maybe the hardest hit by this.

I agree with @february31st who imo has made the most sense throughout this debate.

Stay where you are this year.

5. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Where's your sense of adventure...?

(He says from the relative comfort of Switzerland)

rouxx and dumbbells66 like this.
  6. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

We need an upvote button

7. MsBunnell

MsBunnell New commenter

Is this a blanket statement for all countries though, especially knowing how countries like Singapore or Taiwan or NZ is handling cases vs maybe the US or African countries? Heck, I don’t think our government is doing the right thing. I haven’t resigned but Singapore is looking more and more appealing.

8. IndigoViolence

How are you getting to said country? Those with low rates of infection won’t want you in their country and / or may restrict visas. And your job is only as guaranteed as the admissions numbers- lots of jobs have been furloughed abroad and in UK.

If you don’t have to move, then don’t. UK have healthcare, free schools and benefits- a foreign country won’t offer you all of this even if they are trying to help folk.

rouxx likes this.
  9. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

YES

Blanket statement.
    No one knows how it will be in ANY country in 4 or 5 months. And the likelihood of even getting in to a country that is coping if where you are is a mess is very, very small.

10. MsBunnell

MsBunnell New commenter

Agreed. If I fly out tomorrow, I would not be allowed in. Next month, probably not. But August? Who knows? Many countries are in various stages of lifting economic sanctions. I am genuinely interested in knowing, especially for those who have taught in the countries who has dealt with this pandemic in the right way via contact tracing, tracking, quarantining, if the blanket DON’T GO applies?

11. IndigoViolence

I am in a country that has dealt with the pandemic very well. There are no flights in or out, no visas and no schools with a partial lockdown being strengthened over the next few weeks. Most colleagues have retracted their resignations based on this alone. No one expects this to have gone away in August, especially as lifting the lockdown caused a huge spike. However, parents are causing an uproar with fees, lots of westerners have gone home as companies have folded, government is only financially supporting residents and providing basics measures for others. They have even offered to pay for flights to get rid of as many foreign workers as possible. There is no chance that any of the restrictions will be lifted anytime soon.

Luvsskiing, markedout and rouxx like this.
  12. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

The key statement is 'Who knows?", the answer is no-one, not even the leaders of any of these countries with contact tracing. The situation changes daily depending on scientific data form around the world.

rouxx likes this.
  13. mightyb

mightyb New commenter

Of course noone knows what is going to happen but I think the level of risk depends greatly on the country and school. Hopefully schools that are well established or expanding in countries where things appear to be under control are a fairly safe bet. Also, if lots of the pupils permanently live in that location, then I feel it is probably less of a risk. Of course noone really knows, but I definitely think the risk varies from school to school.

14. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Nowhere is a safe bet.

If you have a job in the country you are presently in. Don’t resign.

In my opinion from a country that is doing it reasonably well. That is still a blanket statement.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  15. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Pushing this thread up again.

I am still seeing people talking about interviews and accepting jobs for Aug/Sep.

Are you living on a different planet?

Yes, some people have no choice and it’s a bummer for them. If you have a permanent job...DON’T move.

16. 1FineDay

1FineDay New commenter

Singapore now looking like a problem.. along with Japan, worst situation in Asia and worsening rapidly.

17. Mlockwood81

Mlockwood81 New commenter

You cannot enter NZ unless you're a permanent resident or citizen. They are trying to squash the curve rather than flatten it.

NZ requires these people to go into mandatory government quarantine for 14 days upon their return. I can't see here (NZ) opening up until there's a vaccine (hopefully) available. They may open up to countries like Australia, if they both manage to squash it.

18. 576

576 Established commenter

I think so. They dealt with it really well here, no new cases for 5 days now and less than 150 cases in total.
    So why would they let in people from outside.
    Right now life inside the country is not too bad, but the borders are closed to nearly all foreigners, including expats with work permits who were abroad when the borders closed. I can't see them welcoming people anytime soon. And if you can get in uou have to pay eqv. £500 for a test and spend 14 days quarantined in a hotel, at your expense.

19. february31st

february31st Established commenter

A lot of hard lessons have been learnt over the last few months. So if you are planning to move to China in September just remember.

Any sign of a city having any infections, it will be immediately locked down. As soon as this happens all airlines will close international flights. Compulsory quarantine on your arrival and may be at your own expense.

If you are in a permanent teaching job in the UK/Ireland it would be madness to move to China at the present moment in time.

Its a bit like moving to Singapore January 1942 thinking the RN will protect you.

20. 1FineDay

1FineDay New commenter

The sooner you commit to another year in the UK the sooner you can relax and avoid bigger disappointment in the future.

You've been given extra time to plan resources, schemes of work, assessments, bolster subject knowledge and most importantly work on YOU. So, sit back, enjoy the year of growth and consider applying for jobs in early 2021..but be prepared for disruption at any point as new waves hit, and be aware that you may need to hold off applying until autumn 2021 instead.

Luvsskiing and motorhomer like this.