1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Audrey Hepburn did not have va-va-voom

Discussion in 'Personal' started by doomzebra, Feb 21, 2011.

1. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

At least Scarlett Johanson is curvy. Pity she has a "dumb" look about her (I may be thinking "expressionless"). Yet Marilyn was supposed to be dumb, actually wasn't, and had sparkle. You know what I mean; she "sparkled".

2. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Yes absolutely.

3. Marilyn Munroe was a bi-sexual prostitute before she achieved fame.
    I'd never have guessed...

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

So for that matter was James Dean, who according to some accounts was not above doing certain 'favours' for male producers in order to obtain roles.

5. They were all at it. I bet even Audrey had a few dirty little secrets.
    I prefer Audrey's looks to Marilyn's, but maybe if I was a man I'd prefer titsy, accessible Marilyn.

6. I'm sure. He was bi too.
    And over-rated.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

<a target="_blank">clio ad[/URL]

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

9. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Marilyn's breasts were not that big, she just dressed to enhance them - that was what the film companies wanted at the time. If my memory is correct then Audrey's looks were seen as "odd" because they didn't "fit" with what was fashionable at the time.
    Marilyn (I think) was cast as "girl next door" rather than "easy" (I know you haven't used this word) remember that she was acting in films during the 50s and early 60s so "easy" wasn't something that the film companies did.

10. By 'accessible' I meant 'friendly' and un-haughty. Men could dream that she would be interested in them.

11. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Audrey Hepburn was Dr Evil's mother

12. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

That's ok CK I wasn't sure what you meant by accessible and didn't want to presume so I used a different word to describe my opinion of her. :)

13. At least he had an icon for a mother.
    She was fabulous.

14. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

She was indeed fabulous. Loved her in virtually every film she was in (the exception was My Fair Lady wherein I thought she was woefully miscast)

15. Agreed. But what term can we ascribe to her kind of beauty, like va-va-voom but meaning fabulous in her kind of way?

16. A remote beauty.

17. Like it. Remote, but not in the Grace Kelly ice-maiden style.

18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Can't say Audrey Hepburn floats my boat as she looks a bit too fragile, but to be fair she does a good job in 'Roman Holiday'. I'm surprised some idiot hasn't tried to remake that film yet.
    Now if I had to choose between Marilyn Monroe and Lauren Bacall I'd have a real struggle. Marilyn had instant appeal for obvious reasons - Lauren was more of a slow burn. She definitely still had it well into her senior years.
    If I was going to personify va va voom I'd go for Debbie Harry in her prime, which many are surprised to learn was her mid 30s, as she was born in 1945.

19. Her senior yewars? How senior is senior? Ugh.
    Heroin chic?

20. ...years...