1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Audit culture causing staff burnout in schools-DfE 2 ease pressure

Discussion in 'Education news' started by schoolsout4summer, Nov 5, 2018.

1. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

install and stonerose like this.
  2. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

Loved this.
    “audit culture” in schools was causing anxiety and staff burnout without improving results.

Thus implying that the anxiety and burnout would be worthwhile if results improved. An incredibly insensitive piece of writing.

3. BTBAM

BTBAM New commenter

The DfE, some of the people who help destroy this job in the first place, are going to fix it now? Well, I'm sure they have something pretty solid in place, I had better actually read the article before jumping to conclusions...

'The letter, to be sent to every school leader in England, has “a straightforward message” that headteachers and managers who want to cut back on unnecessary workload will be supported. “None of us wants staff in schools to feel like they are drowning in unnecessary and meaningless data,” the letter states.'

WOW... a letter? Sent to the schools?

The DfE do care about us, who'd have thought! Rejoice teachers, don't even think of saying 'no' or striking, just be quietly happy that a letter is being sent round to schools! And I am sure the school leaders will be held accountable, don't worry about that! Ofsted now grading the curriculum AND core subjects/SATs results equally is good news too! And that pay rise that is DEFINITELY going to happen too! Yippee! It's almost like they've planned some 'good pr' without doing anything substantial, i am excited!

Our quality of lives will improve almost immediately in the light of this bold, bold move from the DfE..

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  4. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

It's like trying to alter the course of a large cruise liner......it may take more than one letter but at least there is some acknowledgement of the mess things are in. Let's hope we're not on the Titanic....

stonerose and agathamorse like this.
  5. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

This is one cause among many, unfortunately. I could list half a dozen causes of burn out without pausing for breath and so could any teacher if they had enough breath to spare.

All political parties seem to be looking for one over-arching or major thing that will do the trick of mending things, from promising an end to marking in a rainbow of tropical colours to promising to deal with a permafrost level of bad behaviour in schools that govt. promises to 'train up' teachers to repair damage.

After decades of blaming teachers for all of education's ills and vowing to 'drive up standards' they have successfully driven away loads of us: from the dead wood of the older practitioners to the 'snowflakes' coming fast behind.. still not plugging gaps. Cutting the audit culture may be a start, but govt. is fooling itself if it thinks that this is golden key. No wonder Philip Hammond talks about little luxuries as if he were Marie Antoinette. It shows that higher up the food chain than Education, if he who holds the money bags doesn't get it, then few of them get it.

Cake anyone?:mad::mad::mad:

6. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

If letter writing could cause change in schools you’d think Michael Wilshaw would achieve just as much change after he ceased to lead ofsted as when he was in charge.

stonerose likes this.
  7. drek

drek Lead commenter

Auditing procedures......could rival those of the IRS lol
    Every single TLR position needs the group of teachers teaching full time tables to provide them ‘evidence’ of ‘their’ TLR performance.
    This then needs the TLR layer on top to validate it as part of senior TLR pay for performance. Then the SLT body to validate the validation and so on and so forth. In short a merry go round for the front line teacher who also has to bear the majority of students with send, positive and behaviour issues as a direct result of having more teaching hours and groups at secondary!
    Adds up to an infinite workload basically micromanaged by the self servers.
    I think the data collection from front line staff to support those who get extra frees from teaching should be brought to a complete standstill until someone comes up with a less teacher labour intensive way of providing evidence on what basically seems an enforced pyramid scheme of pay for making others perform to their imaginary tunes.....
    The number of times we’ve had to fill surveys praising some hastily drawn up initiative even though it’s not had any measurable impact whatsoever to the point that if you asked someone to watch episodes of flash for homework and make out that it ‘really improved’ A2L and progress in physics, the idiots at dfe and OFSTEd would roll it out to every school as shared best practice!
    Because that’s what it has felt like these past 7 years or so.

8. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

What a fantastic description of a system of selling that has been illegal in the business world but thrives in the Ed. service.

Pyramid Selling

agathamorse and Mrsmumbles like this.
  9. install

install Star commenter

'Audit culture' - Otherwise known as a'blame game' in some schools set up by some hts / ceos to get rid of unwanted staff should they need to ...:rolleyes:

It won"t go away -some hts love it too much in some schools...

Sir_Henry, drek, agathamorse and 3 others like this.
  10. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

What will it say to headteachers who make the decision to continue with unnecessary workload? They're the ones who need to be dealt with?

lardylegs and stonerose like this.
  11. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I wonder who owns the journalist.

agathamorse likes this.
  12. Mrsmumbles

Squealer would have been proud. All porkies, if you ask me. “Napoleon is always right! Long live Napoleon!”

drek likes this.
  13. Mrsmumbles

Yes please. Pass me the coffe and walnut. Thanks. Of course Hammond is a distant *****. Thick people naturally gravitate towards politics. We should never have voted Tory. And less of the dead wood! I’m a noble ancient oak tree, thank you very much! :p

14. ajrowing

ajrowing New commenter

It is clear to me that what the DfE need to do is an audit of audits, expect a letter to your school soon about this, and be ready to provide evidence of the data that you provide together with an explanation of what the data is, who you are providing it to and for what purpose.

drek and agathamorse like this.
  15. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

Aaaaaarrrggghhhh! (I didn't think 'like' was appropriate)

drek likes this.
  16. drek

drek Lead commenter

Here is one example of a process that keeps getting more layers added on after each 'audit'....

Let's say out of 5 groups of 32 each today I had one group that included 7 little future 'neighbours from hell'.......need I say more to any teacher?

I logged detentions online in the behaviour data system.

Next emailed relevant staff (HOY, hod, etc) as one of these had refashioned a pair of scissors into a stabbing device, then emailed relevant staff for a different but equally serious type of incident with another student.
    Next filled out 7 support booklets at hods request and survived phoning 7 parents, some supportive..... a few abusive... ..''what did you do to make my child behave that way'.....Love it people love it...at the end of an exhausting day.

Next have to log each incident yet again because one of the lead staff wants the info disseminated differently for them. They can't do online stuff......

These steps don't take 5 minutes each as the cheerleaders in the system like to say .....every task a teacher does shouldn't take more than 5 minutes apparently.
    Well the first step of logging in detentions n details....yes....But add up the rest and that's just for one group.
    Imagine if a teacher is assigned 7 or so such students in every group. It would require endless hours of admin time.
    Hence one can't measure or compare teacher workload in a meaningful way.

By the time this is all done....go home and plan for next days 5 hours....which could include a double with the same group........

Happy days.

slstrong123 likes this.
  17. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Lead commenter

@drek tells it like it is! Schools now seem to have as many 'support' staff as teachers yet none of these take any of the administrative load of the shoulders of teachers; indeed, most of them add to it, by imposing ludicrous systems whereby you have to log and report the same incident in several different ways. Think of the hard-pressed form teacher, who has had chasing up absences trust back on them, trying to meet a school policy that requires all parents of absent students to be phoned by 11 a.m. HTF could you do this and teach a full timetable? Many parents can only be reached in the evening, so all these calls are in your own time, and at your own expense.