1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Audio Recording using Mobile Phone

Discussion in 'Music' started by TrueFaith, Jan 20, 2012.

1. TrueFaith

TrueFaith New commenter

Hi,

I've got a fairly decent mic on my mobile phone, and am toying with the idea of recording students work using a voice recorder app.

Has anyone else done this before, and am I on dodgy ground thinking of using a mobile phone in class?

I wouldn't dream of filming of photographing students using my phone, but I don't think this is the same?

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

TF

2. TrueFaith

TrueFaith New commenter

Hi,

I've got a fairly decent mic on my mobile phone, and am toying with the idea of recording students work using a voice recorder app.

Has anyone else done this before, and am I on dodgy ground thinking of using a mobile phone in class?

I wouldn't dream of filming of photographing students using my phone, but I don't think this is the same?

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

TF

3. tanbur

tanbur New commenter

Why not just buy a hand held audio recorder or video recorder? This would be my first choice for a wishlist of equipment items. If you have computer(s) as well then it's so easy to transfer the recordings for filing or editing as required.
    I'm sure your phone would produce a reasonable recording but, considering that in most school students are not allowed to use them during lesson time, I think it sends mixed messages if teachers have different rules.

4. What sort of phone? I have a Xoom tablet and use an Android app called MP3 Recorder and it works brilliantly! While you are at it, why not get your students to record themselves and listen back to their performances half way through their rehearsal time? - self assessment make Ofsted man very sparkle! As they say in Vietnam
    Why not get students to submit their work as recordings!!!! you can take them away and mark them at your leisure! I'm getting carried away now.

5. Don't use your phone to record children's work. You shouldn't really use any home digital device in school, you might be accused of something, putting it on facebook or other site or anything. Use a school one dedicated to the children only. I wouldn't risk it.

6. TrueFaith

TrueFaith New commenter

I totally understand the concerns, but am getting close to the end of my rope with this one...

Apparently, the budget (admittedly including that for peris) this year was close to £15k, but it seems the HoD has blown the whole lot, so there are no funds for any beautiful hand-held recorders. I have been using my school laptop and audacity, but have to faff with disk partitioning to get it to work, and was just looking for something less time consuming to do the recordings.

7. Well, I wouldn't. We have been told not to use phones or any other home device to record children's work or take pictures etc. So I'm not touching it. But perhaps it is lefty (safeguarding) cobblers, yes. But I don't need a legal battle. Anyway, my H2 is great for recording.