1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Audio and video remote teaching

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by karole, Mar 18, 2020.

1. karole

karole New commenter

Can we be forced to do video or audio lessons for students for remote learning if schools are closed?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

You can be required to work from home and it's still in directed time if it's a day/time you would have been working if the school wasn't closed. And you will still be entitled to PPA time. Obviously you can only be directed to do something that is physically and technically feasible.

Why do you ask? What do you want to do if your school closes? You will still be being paid.

3. pipryan

pipryan New commenter

I think you may find that your contract stipulates your workplace i.e. the school - if that is the case then no you cannot be forced to work from another place as it will breach an explcit term in your contract. If it does not explicitly state that in your contract then you could possibly argue that it is implied your workplace is the school - therefore same argument may apply. If it is something that makes you feel very uncomfortable to the point of not being able to do it, tell them that - if they try to force you see union rep.

4. karole

karole New commenter

Happy to work with Microsoft Teams for live question and response but a bit unsure about video links in particular.

5. Rott Weiler

If on STPCD then STPCD states that you can you can be directed for your 1265 hours "at such times and such places as may be specified by the headteacher".

6. tiggy35

tiggy35 New commenter

I am currently sat in my house in LOCK DOWN in southern france My private school has been closed and we have been emailed a web site to use with NO training and with the prospects of not being paid as of the first of the month. After my moan I will say I have used Klassroom on the web to stay in contact with my parents and the majority have been happy with anything that keeps the children occupied whilst they try to work from home I would also be great full for any help on english teaching videos which I can pass on

7. pipryan

pipryan New commenter

It probably would not apply to home working -you may be homeless or live in a group commune (extreme examples I Know) . All schools must appoint staff in accordance with employment law. Firstly the extract you quoted from STPCD would have to be incorporated in to the employment contract and ‘reasonably expected’ would almost certainly accompany. The employment contract MUST stipulate your place (or places) of work which may include your home (but probably will not). Secondly there is a lot of case law precedent on being asked to work from places other than those stipulated in contract of employment (including home) but look at https://worksmart.org.uk/work-right...y-employer-force-me-adopt-teleworking-when-id where “..In general, you can't be forced to work from home without your agreement.” paragraph gives a good overview.

Also look at - Department of Education, Staffing and employment advice for schools. Departmental advice for school leaders, governing bodies, academy trusts and local authorities October 2018…..5.1 The employers of all school staff are required to provide their employees with a written statement of particulars which must cover certain minimum requirements such as ….place of work.

As I stated OP should check their contract of employment.

8. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

I think we will soon find that the emergency legislation will override STPCD. It's already overriding tenancy law.

9. Rott Weiler

STPCD is already statute law.

Yes indeed, more details will come to light soon I hope.