1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

audacity in primary

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by taylajoel, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Hi
    Has anyone used audacity in the classroom and not just for podcasts. I have a y5 class and was thinking about putting a unit of work together. From what I can see most people use it for podcasts - an area I am not familiar with, but am wiling to have aa go. Any tips would be useful. Thanks in advance

2. Yes we use it all the time. We have used it in many different ways. Children can research a project e.g. Henry VIII and then record on audacity their findings instead of writing the answers they create their sound clip (podcasts). This works quite successfully if you give each table group a different area to research (e.g. a different wife of Henry VIII ) so each table researches and creates a podcast for a different wife so six tables are researching the six different wives. Then the class listen to each other’s podcasts and therefore learn from each other about the wives of Henry the VIII Children can write a book on a PowerPoint presentation. Then record the vocals on audacity then insert these into PowerPoint as sound clips. We have used digital cameras to create stop frame animations of dinosaurs and used audacity to do voiceovers and put these into Windows Movie maker.Like thishttp://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/simple-movie-making-with-stop-frame-animation/8266.htmlLet children use it to read their books to themselves play it back to them. Ask them are they reading with expression?I have done all of these things with my Year 3 class.

3. missbenn

missbenn New commenter

Hi!
    I use Audacity a lot- mostly for podcasting, but it's also great for developing expressive reading and for children to self-evaluate their reading. I have used it with a very reluctant reader in KS2 to make an audio book (record with a microphone- we use EasiSpeak- edit in Audacity then burn to a CD), which we then gave to her class as a gift and to her parents- it really got her interested in reading and 'rehearsing'.
    If you want to hear some examples of podcasts, you can listen to ours here:
    http://podcast.lgfl.org.uk/channels/2105201Year-5-Thames-Project.xml
    Each week the children research a different area of the topic (The River Thames), then write, edit and record the podcasts themselves. I do the uploading etc but I'm sure they could manage it if we had more time!

4. Hi

I have been using it as a project we have with WWW.u-create.tv/h

UCreate gives your school /college an exciting and unique hands-on opportunity to produce and broadcast your own
    radio adverts and pod-casts.
    Students aged 8-18 will work with assistance from the creative team to write, record and mix a radio commercial via
    there interactive e-learning platform and online editing application.