1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Attracting birds to my garden

Discussion in 'Personal' started by 60sunnysmile, Dec 21, 2019.

1. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Great shout on the wood pile. I stack up bush and tree trimmings to dry out over the year. I also put the grass into a heap to compost down. Both get lots of action!

Jamvic likes this.
  2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I use branches as rustic lawn edging, I get wood delivered for the burner and put straight bits about 3 inches diameter to one side. I peg pieces about 3-6 feet long in place, they get overgrown with moss and then get broken down slowly. I replace each piece about every 5 years or so when they are more holes than wood. The mainly rotted replaced pieces get thrown under shrubs or a hedge to finish off decaying.

caress and Jamvic like this.
  3. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

4. surf kitty too

surf kitty too Occasional commenter

I get finches, blackbirds, robins and blue ****. The most spectacular though has been a Red Kite! We have a lot here, fairly rural, and over Christmas I threw out some meat scraps onto the grass. The kite was circling over head for a while, and then swooped down to get the meat. Awesome! Just wish I had been able to get a photo.

smoothnewt likes this.