1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Attorney-General Barr protects Trump, not the Constitution.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Apr 18, 2019.

1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Now the full (if redacted) version of the Mueller Report is being released, it's quickly becoming apparent that Barr's four-page "executive summary significantly mischaracterized the report's contents. In particular, in emphasising that there was no "collusion" he was putting the emphasis on something that Mueller never looked for. as Mueller himself wrote,
    “[C]ollusion is not a specific offense or theory of liability found in the United States Code, nor is it a term of art in federal criminal law,” the Mueller report reads. “For those reasons, the Office’s focus in analyzing questions of joint criminal liability was on conspiracy as defined in federal law.”
    So Mueller was investigating criminal conspiracy, and it is clear Trump did his best to obstruct that investigation from going ahead. I don't think Trump can be impeached, but certainly his conduct besmirches his Presidency, and that of William Barr besmirches his time in office too.

2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

What did you expect? Trump would fall on his sword?

3. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

The report is 400 pages long. It was released about 5 hours ago. I admire your speed reading and comprehension skills.

4. MAGAorMIGA

No, to be frank I expected a whitewash, and we've got one. I'm disappointed by Mueller's craven decision not to call Trump's blatant obstruction of justice out. It's a pity Mueller wasn't fired back in 2017 - that would undoubtedly have precipitated a crisis which could have seen the orange squatter evicted from the White House. As it is, it looks like America will have to suck him and his politics up until 2024.

5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Yebbut Trump said he was exonerated and his dopey supporters believed it as they have no filter or brain just like the cult leader.

Trump spent rather too long doing premature victory laps, the cultists loved it, those of some brain will hopefully see through it and him. I'm hoping this isn't the end of it, but the start of what will happen with this new ammunition.

6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Jon Sopel's analysis is worth a read....
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47982156

Loved this bit:
    And on this key question of obstruction of justice, I think the key quote is this: Mr Trump's attempts at influencing the investigation "were mostly unsuccessful but that is largely because the persons who surrounded the president declined to carry out orders or accede to his requests".

In other words, it looks like the team that muttered under their collective breath "I'm ignoring you, Mr President", saved him from himself.

7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

They should just have gone after all his dodgy and criminal activity before he was pres (including tax dodging).

8. MAGAorMIGA

I rely on proper journalism to speedily, accurately and fairly report the Report's contents, and I think people knew full well exactly in the Report Bill Barr had been economical with the truth.

9. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

"I rely on people I don't know to tell me what I want to hear" is what that sounds like to me. Why do you think some "proper journalist" can read faster and think better than you can? I haven't read the report yet, which is why I haven't commented on its contents. And until I read it, I won't.

10. Mangleworzle

Apart from where you said the report completely exonerated Trump, when even Barr said it didn't. Still your source at the time was the Liar in Chief himself, so why would you doubt him?

sabrinakat and MAGAorMIGA like this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Nothing surprises me about Trump any more.

But we have problems of our own.

12. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Can you show me where I said that?

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  13. Mangleworzle

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

How does he know ? - has he read the report.

15. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Thanks. Always helpful when others mind one's business better than one does oneself. What I said was in response to Maga's assertion that Trump people will never believe anything critical of him, no matter what's in the report:
    It's the other way around, you know. The Dems, the Trump haters, the NeverTrumpers and the Wormtongue media are so invested in their big lie that they will NEVER let it go, no matter how many times Trump is exonerated.
    They have to keep it going because they have nothing else. And when all you have is a lie, a lie is all you have.

I'll stand with every word of that. That these same people pivoted in the blink of an eye from 'muh Russian collusion' to 'muh obstruction of justice because alleged hindering of an investigation into a crime that did not occur that got massive cooperation from the supposed obstructor and his staff' supports my point. Good luck selling that narrative, btw.

16. Mangleworzle

You're welcome, posting on a public forum invites your comments to become everyone's business. I remembered it because I responded to it surprised that anyone would take the Liar-in-Chief as a source of information, especially about himself.

He wasn't exonerated, Barr said so, Trump claimed the opposite, those are the facts, not an interpretation or an opinion, it didn't happen even once, so "no matter how many times" is a fantasy.

Accusations of obstructions of justice have been going on for a long time now, it's not
    and it looks like Trump can thank those people of integrity who refused to follow orders and resigned instead for co-incidentally protecting him. He's crooked through and through, he always has been, that's why people don't like him and with a great many valid reasons not to like him, it's not just a personality thing or partisan politics, he's just a bad 'un.

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There's still plenty in that report to look at in more detail.

18. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

How Barr’s Excerpts Compare to the Mueller Report’s Findings
    Attorney General William P. Barr sent a letter to Congress last month citing brief fragments from the Mueller report. Now that the document is public, his selections are coming under scrutiny.

When Attorney General William P. Barr sent Congress a four-page letter last monthdescribing his take on the conclusions of Robert S. Mueller III’s special counsel investigation, he quoted several fragments of Mr. Mueller’s then-secret report.

But none of the excerpts were in context or even complete sentences, raising the question of whether he was portraying their thrust and tone accurately or skewing them to make them sound better for President Trump.

Now that the report is out, readers can see where Mr. Barr plucked those phrases from.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/19/us/politics/mueller-report-william-barr-excerpts.html

19. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Perhaps that's why Trump is now saying the report is full of lies!

Nanook_rubs_it likes this.
  20. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

So the NYT, which has been misleading its readers about the Russia collusion hoax for 2.5 years, is unhappy with how the country's top lawman summarized a 450 page document into four pages? And you think that's a big story?
    The big story is the concerted effort we're seeing to discredit Barr because the Dems, the Trump haters and the media Wormtongues are *** scared that he'll begin to investigate actual crimes.
    Like how the FBI "handled" the Hillary "investigation", the evident conspiracy between the intel community and the FBI to bring down Trump through the fake Russia thing and how the FISA court was abused by a sitting president to enable his government to spy on the opposing party's candidate during an election (that's the one that really matters).