1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

attn; Durgmata (or anyone who can help!)

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by angelface, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Hi, there,
    Can anyone help...PLEASE?!
    My computer has 'died', am currently using hubs laptop. This means that I do not have access, to my docs or favourites.
    I had saved a selction of usefule sites, and know that durgmata's site was one of them.
    I have just spotted a comment, on here about Sue Phillips, and wondered if anyone could tell me durgmata's site address.
    Thanking you
    [​IMG]

2. ott

ott

Hi is this what you are looking for -www.bluelotus.co - I just noticed it on her letter to her MP in a different thread!

3. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

Hello Angelface,

I am delighted that you like my site.

Most of my resources are on My Resources on the TES website because my website has no facility for downloads yet. However I hope to update it soon.

I hope you can get your computer 'resurrected.' I have been quite stressed about my faithful laptop as all my work - which means all my business was on it and it was very slow, very full up and therefore my business was very vulnerable. (That was about a year ago when I was working on the 'Reflections on Life' Slide Shows and some Microsoft Movie Maker videos which need lots of photos - all of which take up tooooo much space.)

My son knows a lot about computers and he bought me two small external hard drives. Each month he chases me so I download and save everything onto them - in duplicate. Then he clears everything that has been copied onto them from my laptop so firstly the laptop works faster and secondly, should it die - and it is not an unusual thing to happen - I do not lose everything. (Only problem is remembering which month something I need was created. But the Search facility is useful for that.

I am very happy to hear that you like some of my resources. It is incredibly frustrating being a devoted RE teacher and unable to get a teaching job. There are so many unemployed teachers at the moment and if you are at the top of the pay scale it's almost impossible to get appointed. And the longer you are out of the classroom the weaker your CV gets. I am not prepared to turn away from the subject I love so much, which I know inside out (as much as any one person can) and which I believe so passionately to be of huge importance to our young people. I will not give up in my efforts to get my business going and to continue responding to RE teachers here whenever I see something I might be able to help with. I think you are all fantastic and brilliant and wonderful people. May all the blessings - human and divine - empower you all and 'water the gardens' of your endeavour.

4. durgamata

Just a note to say that my business takes priority and I often don't get to see this site for days at a time. Also there are only so many hours in a day and I tend to go by my 'gut instinct' or 'heart' when choosing which subjects to reply to and which to let pass.

I don't for a minute think I am the best thing since sliced bread for RE teachers - and there are bound to be many things we would not agree about. There are millions of different ways of approaching anything so I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea here - but whatever I can do to share my experience and enthusiasm I will. There is one thing we do share and that is our passion for the subject. Nobody would become an RE teacher, whatever their philosophical viewpoint, unless they shared that.

5. It's been a while, since I've been on here.
    I'm afraid I'm not having a lot of luck with bluelotus.co.uk,,,it appears to be some sort of trading site!
    Any help please?
    [​IMG]

6. matryoshkadoll

matryoshkadoll Occasional commenter

The address is not .co.uk - It is www.bluelotus.co (no uk) However, i haave just checked it and there appears to be a server error at the moment, so it is not loading up.

7. durgamata

Hello Matryoshkadoll, good to hear you. You are right about the address being www.bluelotus.co - nothing else, no 'com or 'co.ok which confuses lot's of people. It's quite a new domain ending, I was attracted to it because it was advertised as the next world wide domain like .com and .org.

I just tried it and i opened fine, so do let me know if there's still a problem from your computer.

8. durgamata

sorry, not wearing glasses - should be not .com or .co.uk

9. matryoshkadoll

Yes, it's working now. Must have been a temporary glitch that has obviously been sorted out. Hope you're doing well. Have you opened a youtube channel? Just another avenue that I find useful - it might be a good way of linking to your site. Check out my page and link if you like. www.youtube.com/user/matryoshkadoll If we all keep joining together, it can only be a benefit.

xx

10. durgamata

How do you do that? I think that as it stands my website won't do anything more than what I've done but I'm meeting an IT-expert friend on Thursday to try to upgrade it. Problem is money. I have none! so if it needs me to spend more on the website to upgrade it I'm stuck for now.

I have an interview on Monday, for a part time position as a Support Teacher in a College of FE, supporting Special Needs Students. I don't really want it as it will mess up my Housing Benefit and stop my benefit but because of the low number of hours, not even take me off JSA - but I'm so desperate I'll try anything. It's the first interview I've had in a year and a half. At least it will give me more recent references and I hope it will give me slightly more income because I just can't cope on JSA - especially as I have to prioritise the things I need for my business even though there is no budget at all for things like that, so I end up having no food or no heating!
    How are you going on?

11. durgamata

got to go, catching the University media centre to print out my cards - latest version in Spanish, and must get there in good time. they finish at 5 so I need to rush.

12. matryoshkadoll

Well it was really about 5 years ago so difficult to remember how I did it Durgamata. As far as I remember, I just set up an account and was able to work form there. I think I just played with a few buttons really, to find out what they did. I didn't really get active on You-tube until about 18 months ago. As long as you set up an account, you should be able to start saving videos to it for future reference.

13. durgamata

How do you make the videos. Are they from a mobile phone or something a bit more structured and professional, or do you use Moviemaker or some similar programme?

Do you have a website and link the website to Youtube? How do people find your work? I am really interested in doing something like this.

14. durgamata

I will be happy to get the part time job - just to feel that there is hope and movement, plus you learn from anything. But in the long run I have to get my business going. I think it is very unlikely that I'll be able to get another good RE job in a hurry. My worry about the part time Support Teacher job is that it may really weaken my CV - but if I can get my business going then I can do good things for RE in a wider way and support teachers everywhere.

The big problem is that I really love being a classroom teacher and teaching my beloved subject. But life throws up so many interesting situations. I think the main thing is to remember that life is for progress, for learning, so we can learn from everything. At least I will be doing some interesting workshops free during March - RE Month. I hope I will be able to build on that.

The best thing (if I get it) about the job I'm going for is that it's part time so I can do it around my business. I just need a bigger income than JSA, so I can pay the bills and move my life forwards.

15. matryoshkadoll

To be honest durgamata, so far, I haven't made any of the videos at all. The ones on my youtube site are those that I have found when planning lessons, links that friends have suggested and fellow subscriber or subscription videos. The best part about it is it is all free. I have recently been playing with some clips of MLK in movie maker to produce some of my own but with a family, 2 hr commute every day and work itself, I really don't get a chance. I like the youtube channel because I can store all of my favourites in topic files all in the same place.

All you need to do when you find a video you want to add is to click 'add to' under the clip while it is playing. If you havent sorted out into topic playlists, just click 'add to 'playlist' on that same drop down menu, type in what you would like to name the topic area and press enter - this automatically adds this to your new playlist.

Yes, you can use mobile phone or structured clips as long as they are in the correct format to load to youtube. You can also download clips from youtube into movie maker and chop them into the segments that you want to show - then add text, motion and music to adapt it to your liking. I'm certainly not a computer wizard, but I find it easy enough to have a play with. I just need a bit more practice in order to get a few finished products up there. However, if you are just doing a 'talkie' you can use your mobile phone - my husband has done that on a couple of occasions on his youtube site.

In order to set up an account, you need to sign up for a youtube account the same way you would for any other subscription type by clicking 'create account' in the top right corner of your youtube page. You will be redirected to a page to type in your details and choose a username. Once you have filled in all of the fields and click 'I accept', your account will be created. After this, your username will appear in the top right corner. Click on this and there will be a dropdown menu - click 'my channel' and you will be directed to your own channel homepage that you can edit, add playlists etc. Hope this is helpful to get you started. My channel is at www.youtube.com/user/matryoshkadoll so you can have a look if you like, and choose videos for your site or look to the subscriptions I have which might provide a bit of food for thought.

Hope this is helpful

xx

16. matryoshkadoll

Once you have sorted that - click onto your user name and click account on the drop down menu and you can click under your profile avata 'change' to at a jpg picture from your 'my picutres folder. That way you can keep your normal avatar that you use on tes. My husband dows all sorts of wonderful web stuff to make his site look really cool and professional, but as I said, I am not really that brilliant at computers!

17. Sounds great, |'ll give it a go too!

18. durgamata

Me too. Thankyou so much Matrioshkadoll.

19. durgamata

Ha Ha Ha! I did it and it works! I have uploaded a video I made for an Art lesson, introducing Mythical Creatures - but I think it would make a good focus for reflection in RE too. Let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D0FlqxtZEs&feature=player_detailpage

And THANKS FOR THE EXCELLENT DIRECTIONS MATRIOSHKADOLL.