1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Attestation of documents - Help!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by rednelly84, Mar 23, 2011.

  1. rednelly84

    rednelly84 Occasional commenter

    Your school should provide you with all the information you need regarding how to get this done. It sounds like a complex process, but is actually quite straightforward.
    If you look up the Omani Embassy's website they should have information on there what to do from Ireland.
    I found both the FO and UAE Embassy were really on the ball with this and it took no time at all - and that was all done via the post. If you are posting, make sure it is Special Delivery at the least!
  2. Just had a look at the FCO. It looks horribly complicated!
    Does it have to be a solicitor who attests it? I read on the FCO it can be done by a notary public (does that mean it can be a public servant or head teacher)[​IMG] I can t believe that has to be done AND its sent to the Foreign office.
    Even Ireland is not that complicated. In fairness I just strolled in to the office and they stamped it and I was outraged they charged me 20euros for a bit of ink and 30 seconds of a civil servants time. [​IMG]
    Just judging from what I read the FCO wouldn t be able do it for my Irish degree (just was well really)
    What a pain to have to go to two different institutions!
    I am probably best to ring the Omani embassy and ask what exactly is it that they want. As different countries have different institutions and names for everything and I don t want to risk getting it wrong.
    Phew I d forgotten how complicated moving abroad can be!
  3. I've just had to get my PGCE certificate attested and it wasn't too complicated. A solicitor will photocopy the certificate and certify it for you - it cost me £5. Looking at notary fees they were loads more than this. The expensive bit is the FCO, but if you pay online and post it to them it really doesn't take very long to get it sorted. They can send it directly to the Embassy for you too if you give them that address along with the payment for the Embassy and whatever is needed to return it to you. There are companies that will do it all for you, but they charged a lot more than it cost to do it all myself.
  4. rednelly84

    rednelly84 Occasional commenter

    A notary public is a solicitor. My solicitor wrote on my original certificate - "I hereby certify that this is a legal and proper document issued by the University of ..." He then signed it, gave his position and company and printed in capitals the same information as well as stamping it with his official notray public stamp. I then did what the above poster did.

Share This Page