1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Attestation of Degree Certificates for Dubai

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Tooch247, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Tooch247

Tooch247 New commenter

Hi

I have recently secured a job offer and I have been asked to get my degree certificates attested. My future employer has sent me a link to a company but I have also looked at doing it myself which appears to be significantly cheaper. I was wondering if anyone had done the process themselves and could confirm that this is the process;

1. Documents to authenticated by a UK solicitor
    2. Documents then be attested by the UK FCO
    3. Documents then to be send to the UAE embassy in the UK for the MOFA stamp
    Kind regards

R

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Simple to do the first 2 steps when in UK. Find a notary on the high street, give them the original documents and a high quality colour photo copy, they may stamp two for the price of one. Took mine into the solicitor at 10am and had them back at 1pm.

Pick up some document envelopes at WH Smiths while waiting and a Greegs mince slice for lunch. Back home to scan the notarized photocopies and log onto the web site, up load the scanned documents and printout the address label and attach to envelopes purchased early, use a credit card to pay online, place documents in envelope and proceed to post office to send registered post. This took me a day and had the authenticed docs back in 5 days.

The UAE bit a have no idea.

3. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

That's exactly what I did a number of years ago - or rather what I should have done. I forgot to send it to the UAE embassy in the UK but a very helpful guy at the government here sent it back for me via their internal mail for free, it did take a bit longer though. This was a fair few years ago now so it may have changed but having spoken to new colleagues I don't think it has.

4. markedout

markedout New commenter

I did mine in person last summer, but then I did live in London so it was easier. Local solicitor authenticated the copies, I posted them to FCO, then took them to the UAE embassy in person and collected later that afternoon. No Greggs though, I waited in the V&A!

5. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Greggs is optional, but an afternoon tea and slice of sponge cake in the V&A cafe is a good substitute!

6. Tooch247

Tooch247 New commenter

Thank you for the reply's

7. LCass

LCass New commenter

I think the MoFA stamp is done in the UAE as a fourth step. I'm moving back to the UAE this summer and some of the documents I've had attested for my previous stint there (apostille is still valid) now require an additional MoFA stamp.

So, as you said, the first step is to have the copy of your document authenticated to be a real copy by a solicitor. The FCO then verifies the solicitor's signature by putting an apostille on the back. The UAE embassy then attests the apostille and signature to be true. Those three steps can be easily done by yourself, especially if you are still in the UK currently. As you said, it is far cheaper to do this by yourself than paying a company. As for the fourth and final step, the MoFA stamp, this is done in the UAE. I did not need to do this last time I moved to Dubai, so had to send some of my previously authenticated documents to my new school and they will take them to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for me. Just ask your school, they should be able to do this.

Apparently the fourth step has been a requirement for a while now, but was not really enforced until very recently. My husband's new school has not asked him to add a MoFA stamp to his documents, so requirements still seem to vary from school to school. If your school mentions MoFA, it will be a fourth step, not the stamp by the UAE embassy.

8. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

I don't know about Dubai (or any other city) but in Abu Dhabi Infinity in Marina Mall (below Paris Gallery) were the best place for the MoFA stamp.

http://www.infinitytr.ae/?page_id=136

9. mary821

mary821 New commenter

For step one does the solicitor have to just stamp to say it’s a copy of the original
    or
    do they contact the university & stamp to say it’s definitely your degree?

My solicitor wasn’t sure so just stamped it & said come back if that’s not what you need.

10. markedout

markedout New commenter

FCO requirements:
    Your degree certificate or transcript (UK) must be certified by either:

• a solicitor or notary public in the UK
    • an official of the British Council (only original certificates)
    When the solicitor or notary public signs the document, they must:

• have a valid practising certificate
    • sign the document in the UK
    • state the action they have taken eg witnessed, certified a copy, confirmed as original
    • use their personal signature, not a company signature
    • include the date of certification
    • include their name and company address
    The solicitor or notary public’s signature must be an original, hand-written signature. We can't accept a photocopy or scan of a signature.

Once that's done, send it off to FCO and it will be subsequently accepted by the UAE Embassy.