1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Attention All Supply Teachers!!!

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by tinkyt, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

The document is very interesting reading, but unless I've missed something (entirely possible!) there's no new news there about supply teachers. Can you point us to a specific part of it?

2. What about the fact that all supply teachers will be paid at the lowest scale?
    Not sure if this just Aberdeen, but it looks like supply teachers will also only be paid for pupil contact time.

3. Supply teachers will be paid at the lowest pay scale.
    Also, and this may just be Aberdeen, but it looks like they will also only be paid for pupil contact time.

4. I was lead to believe that, currently, supply teachers have marking/preparation time built in to their day. There's an expectation they won't turn up at 9.00am and disappear with the kids as they walk out at the end of the day.
    If supply teachers are now only to be paid for pupil contact time, does anyone know if that means marking/preparation time is no longer included? Will it get to the stage where class teachers come back to their class to find piles of unmarked work they have to catch up on?
    That being the scenario, how many supply teachers will therefore be asked not to provide continutity of teaching but to instead provide a day's babysitting, where all the work is on worksheets and turfed in the bin at the end of the day?

5. I think permanent teachers should be very concerned about moves to pay Supply Teachers at bottom of the scale - this impacts on ALL teachers. Let's face it, it gives Councils carte blanche to then keep reducing permanent posts, filling gaps with constantly rotating supply teachers (to avoid paying higher rates), voila - dirt cheap teachers, with no possiblity of permanent jobs :( It's no good saying 'my job is safe' - for how much longer? Councils already have a fresh supply of probationers every year, now this year's probationers are going to be given preference for any jobs going - that's twice the amount of bottom scale teachers, then add in bottom-scale supply teachers, that's a significant pool of teachers to pick up and drop/use. Teaching is going to be as much of a 'profession' as working in Poundland at this rate, with demoralised staff who have no reason to go the extra mile because they're not rewarded for it either financially or with job security.

6. Si N. Tiffick

This has been on the table for quite some time- see numerous threads on these forums. It's dreadful but I wondered if there was yet another new attack on us, from the OP. Glad to see not. Things are bad enough.

7. None of this should bother us because as Robert Naylor, Director of Education for Renfrewshire Council stated recently supply teachers are amoral as they turn up at 9, leave at 3, and take the money and run. [​IMG]
    Quite right we should just be paid for six hours then. Actually I think I will suggest to the esteemed Mr Naylor that we just get paid for 5 hours, because playtime + lunchtime = 1 hour of sitting on our bahookeys eating cake.
    [​IMG]

8. Si N. Tiffick

Mrs Rucksack- this is exactly what has been proposed- that we will only be paid 5 hours per day, no hol pay, no prep and marking. It's ridiculous.