1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Attending staff meetings

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by chica27, Mar 31, 2018.

1. chica27

chica27 New commenter

Our staff meetings are on Thursdays. I work 3 days a week, one of which is a Thursday. How many staff meetings should I attend? All of them (as I currently do) or 0.6 of them?

Thanks in advance

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

It's not that clear-cut. If your directed time isn't used up then you can be instructed to attend all of them. Trouble is that it's a faff to calculate and even then would you want to be a martyr by leaving on the stroke of 3:20 (or whenever)? Or insisting on working 2 out of every 3?

Like a lot of problems in teaching it's a lot easier to shrug and lump it than make a fuss

3. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

I am in a similar situation but go to all staff meetings so I get to have my say and generally know what is going on. Also there are only 2 teachers and a HOS so if I don't go there's no one there!

BarryIsland likes this.
  4. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

As they fall on a working day you should attend all of them. There will be other things you likely do not attend that fall on days you do not work. Look at your school's DT budget, and check to see you are not doing a greater proportion than you should be (eg if all meetings/after school events etc only ever took place on a Thurs). Check with your union rep if still unsure.

5. chica27

chica27 New commenter

Ok, thanks. I'll look into directed time and may even ask the union rep for clarification. In regards to other meetings or events happening, the majority really do take place on my days of work...

I agree, John. So often it is the case in teaching that you accept the situation and get on with it. That tends to be my approach but I just wanted to see if I was missing something in this situation.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  6. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If most things are on your working days, it's worth checking the total directed time. If it's over the limit, you could then negotiate to skip the odd (less relevant meeting) or to leave early (perhaps if some agenda items don't apply to you), or maybe you could be let off the open evening, or sports day, or something like that. Constructive suggestions are always going to work better than just a complaint.

If you are job-sharing, then if you are doing all the parents' evenings, your partner might take a bigger share of the written reports.

strawbs likes this.