1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Attending school trip

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by taxigirl, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Hi all. Let me give a bit of background. I am an MFL teacher in my 2nd year, quite well known at my school for my busy outside school life, especially with travelling and attending music concerts. I really try and keep a good work-life balance and never let my outside school activities affect my job at all.
    My HOD has planned a French residential trip, originally scheduled for the 20-22 June. That has now had to be changed, and is being scheduled for the 25-27 June. Unfortunately I have planned to attend two concerts on the 25 and 26 June which I am deeply unwilling to miss.
    What is my stance here? Can I refuse to go on the residential trip?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hi all. Let me give a bit of background. I am an MFL teacher in my 2nd year, quite well known at my school for my busy outside school life, especially with travelling and attending music concerts. I really try and keep a good work-life balance and never let my outside school activities affect my job at all.
    My HOD has planned a French residential trip, originally scheduled for the 20-22 June. That has now had to be changed, and is being scheduled for the 25-27 June. Unfortunately I have planned to attend two concerts on the 25 and 26 June which I am deeply unwilling to miss.
    What is my stance here? Can I refuse to go on the residential trip?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Are you in an LEA school?

If you are then no-one can insist that you go on school trips even if they take place entirely in school time. So if you can't go then you can refuse.

I don't know about academies because they may have something in your contract. Private schools also often have clauses in contracts about trips.

4. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

If you bought the tickets in advance, even a private school would, I think, have to respect this. If a state school just say 'sorry boss - no can do...'

5. Thank you, this has now been resolved