1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Attending an interview when pregnant

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by honeymarmalade, Jun 29, 2015.

1. honeymarmalade

honeymarmalade Occasional commenter

Hello. I tried to post over the weekend but I was unable to - hoping this may work!

Does anybody have any experience of attending an interview when (heavily!) pregnant? I am unsure how to approach this if I am shortlisted and subsequently invited to attend an interview.

Thank you.

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I did when I was 37 weeks… I got the job. The school agreed to hold off on the September start they wanted for a term to give me a bit more maternity leave time. If the school want you your being pregnant will not be an issue.

On a practical level - I had someone drive me to the interview and when I taught the interview lesson fully and exposed the elephant in the room (me) by observing health and safety by explaining to students that my ability to do certain things (practical lesson) was inhibited some and I needed to manage most the lesson from an 'actively sitting' position.

The main thing to consider is how you will manage starting a new job, going hell for leather at it to make an impression and establish yourself, with a very young baby and no 'established' support network of colleagues.