1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Attendence meeting

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Sara254, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Sara254

Sara254 New commenter

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of these and any advice to offer? I've been off work for a couple of months due to long term bullying from another member of staff and have been invited to an attendence meeting. My OH reports are clear that my illness has been caused by stress at work and that I am covered by the Equality Act but I'm so worried that this is the first step towards an ill health dismissal. I have asked for union support at the meeting, but would just like some advice from people who have been through this.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

The point of them is to get you back to work as soon as possible, because that is in everyone's best interest.
    HR ought to be there to ensure fairness and that you are heard.

It should be your head and HR finding out what they can do to help get you back to work. It is then down to your union and you to make the case for what you need. Prepare a 'speech' beforehand setting out clearly what you would like, but expect to have to compromise a little.

They will only move to ill health dismissal if there is no other option. If you cannot return to work in the foreseeable future, there isn't much else an employer can do.

3. cookiesandmilk

cookiesandmilk New commenter

Hi Sara

I have experience of the exact concern you have.

I was off work due to stress and anxiety caused by a bullying head teacher (an impending change in my life caused a bit of 'upheaval' and change of plan for this head).

I received a letter inviting me to an attendance meeting about 6 weeks after I went sick. I already had union involvement due to stress and anxiety so I asked them to accompany me and they did!

It was me, union rep, head teacher and school business manager (taking notes).

It was 'okay'. I think the arrival of my union rep, startled them a bit.

My letter asked me to inform them of exactly what was causing my stress and anxiety and I gave them it!

Little did I know this would then 'get under their skin' for the next two years (I was off for a year but not due to sick leave ;)) and they would then initiate a potential dismissal (ongoing still) by using someone else's malicious allegations to remove me from post.

It seems, the head teacher didn't like the truth.

But other than that, the meeting was fine and I returned to work about 6 weeks after that at my insistence whereas medical professionals wanted me to remain sick.

4. LaceAndChase

LaceAndChase New commenter

I have had these after a series of absences due to anxiety and depression.

I work for an LA school, which therefore uses the local council absence management policy. Get hold of your equivalent - mine is findable on google - and make sure you understand the process.

In my case, all was fair and I have improved my health markedly - SLT were totally fair and supportive throughout!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2017