1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Attendance

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mumc30, Aug 4, 2020.

?

Do you reward children who attend 100% ?

Poll closed Aug 11, 2020.
  1. Yes - half termly

25.0%
  2. Yes - at the end of the year

25.0%
  3. No

50.0%
  1. mumc30

mumc30 New commenter

I am taking over as attendance lead in September. I know it’s going to be very different due to Covid but in my school they have always rewarded families with £50 for every child who has 100% attendance at the end of the year. There are numerous issues with this as I’m sure you can imagine. However, families have come to expect it and they view it as their ‘right / entitlement’. Taking it away is going to cause problems with parents ...to say the least ! What do people do in their schools as rewards for children attending 100% ? Half termly? Before the £50 gifting apparently attendance was really rubbish ! We are in an area where education is not seen as a priority and we battle to get our attendance up. Many thanks

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

100% attendance is awarded with a certificate. Even that can cause issues as we have children with health or social issues which means 100% is impossible to achieve. The only exception ever made was for a child who had 100% attendance every year throughout primary- general consensus was that she deserved something more than a certificate so she got a book token. £50 per family seems excessive. How on earth can you afford it!

sunshineneeded and sooooexcited like this.
  3. mumc30

mumc30 New commenter

That’s one of the issues with it ! We can’t -but the attendance lead has just retired and a new headteacher too - so the ‘what we’ve always done’ can be changed now :)

4. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

You mention things will be different due to Covid - why not use that as your rationale? You absolutely do not want to be encouraging anyone with possible viral symptoms to struggle in to school. When you send out the info reminding about staying home if they are unwell mention in passing that for this reason the ‘attendance reward’ or whatever it is is being suspended.
    Then never reinstate it.

freckle06 and bonxie like this.
  5. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Senior commenter

I hate this pressure on attendance even for sick children. I blame this for the spread of TB in my previous school. These covid days it is DEFINITELY inappropriate. Totally inappropriate. Lets be honest, its only done to tick an ofsted box, no other reason.

bonxie likes this.
  6. bonxie

bonxie Lead commenter

Must have been great when norovirus was going around! It's downright dangerous with covid about.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If extrinsic rewards work to increase attendance in your school, then keep it going.
    Definitely better to reward the parents than the pupils in primary.

Could you do a social evening for parents and children if their child has 100%, or even just for parents?
    £50 per child with 100% seems excessive, but if it is what's needed then...???

We don't do anything and nor did my previous school, but they are both in very different areas to yours. The one before did a cinema trip or similar for pupils each term of 100%, but it made little difference to the overall attendance.

8. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Senior commenter

I can tell you, its pretty catastrophic with TB as well

bonxie likes this.
  9. CabbageWhite20

I am still not convinced now is the time to be pushing 100% attendance. Or offering social evenings actually.

bonxie likes this.
  10. caterpillartobutterfly

Nope, not in schools like yours or mine, but pushing attendance is a major priority in many schools. When school attendance is in the 60% range, then anything that gets it up is a good idea.

The OP says their school offers rewards yearly, so by next summer social events could well be fine.

11. CabbageWhite20

I don’t think any school should be pushing 100% attendance right now. Under other circumstances - perhaps though I still think the 100% aspect is a mistake. Mid pandemic when the population is being asked to isolate at home until tested if they experience minor, common symptoms - no.

12. install

install Star commenter

Changing the system so soon in post and then to see attendance go down massively might be a disastrous move on your part. I would leave in place for now.

13. caterpillartobutterfly

I assume this will be taken into account, a bit like staff being paid even if self isolating. No idea, but that's a worry for the OP and the new head.

The OP was asking about possible changes to an unaffordable situation already in place, which I gave. Not how to start a push for attendance.

From a personal perspective I dislike rewards for attendance full stop. (Actually dislike extrinsic rewards for anything at all, but hey). However I work in a school where attendance is excellent and parents value education.
    In a school, such as the OP's, where education isn't valued by the community and attendance used to be dire, rewards might well be what's needed.

14. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

No financial rewards. No parent events. Teach the children why attendance is so important for the future (never mind year 4 - how will the habits of attendance help me in 5 or 10 or 15 years?).

Your job is to come down hard on the parents who flout the rules, support the families that need help (health, poverty etc,) and praise the children for good or improved attendance.

Get the children to design certificates for 97%, 98%, 99% and 100% and ask the school council what they think reasonable but worthy rewards would look like.