1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Attendance meeting outcome

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by missRV, Sep 20, 2015.

1. missRV

missRV Occasional commenter

Also, if I were to need time off for health reasons would it go straight to capability?

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

It depends on whether your absences and the reasons for those absences were proved to be impacting on your ability to do your job.

Contact your Union. You should have had a rep - or professional friend - at this meeting.

3. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

As I recall, you were on work-related stress last term? Was there a phased return? Or have you just thrown back into the thick of it from day 1? I would definitely get the union and your GP involved asap, if they aren't already.

4. missRV

Thanks for the replies, I was back in school for the last week before summer on phased return then thrown back into it from September with these reduced duties...... I'm now concerned as I'm changing departments and psychiatrists ans the new team may not be as accommodating with appointments. My GP is useless and I took my DHT to accompany me for the meeting.

My head teacher is trying to be helpful and understanding and the DHT is lovely, I just have concerns that they're going to try to get rid of me now that they know the extent of my problems.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'm a bit puzzled - should the head not be reducing your workload to help you avoid further stress-related absence?

If you want my opinion as a former head - they will only "try to get rid" of you if continuing absence means you're not able to work at your main job of being a teacher.

6. missRV

Thank you..... I was worried that taking so much off me would change my role etc.... the head and dht are both really trying to help me stay in school.... they have set fair targets and I'm just being paranoid.

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Any head with any sense would take the extras off you - it's getting you into school to teach your timetable that's important.

8. missRV

thank you

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It sounds as though they are being really supportive of you by getting rid of the peripheral bits and allowing you to concentrate on the teaching.

If, however, you still find it difficult to attend regularly despite this help, then of course there may have to be consideration of whether this is the right thing for you to struggle against hope.

They have to think of what's best for you as well as what's best for the pupils.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

10. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I agree with Theo.

It seems to me, from what you have said, that your HT is doing precisely what a good HT should do in recognising that you have had work-related stress and need a supportive phased return.

11. missRV

Thank you for the replies :)

12. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Obviously I would hope that if (touch wood this will not happen) you ended up really ill with something, this would be accommodated!!!

I remember as well that the D of E was causing you a lot of stress (largely for reasons not your fault.)

As other posters have said, see the removal of these duties as genuine support rather than a negative! Teaching itself is a challenge enough.............

Good luck and you do sound in a better place than you were last academic year!

13. missRV

Thank you for your reply.

The DofE was causing a lot of stress along with the other duties which have been taken from me. I know my school are being supportive, I'm just being a bit paranoid.

I'm feeling a lot better than I was last year, thank you so much :)