1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Attendance In Nursery

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by kate whittle, Jan 8, 2011.

1. I am teaching in a nursery school in an area of high social deprivation where attendance is very poor for some children. Does anyone have any ideas on how to improve this issue?

2. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

We have the same issues. We have tried various things. As we often have a waiting list, we have written to parents asking if they still want their place as we have a waiting list stating their current percentage attendance. This sometimes scares the parents as they think they may lose their place even though we havent implied it.
    I have to give termly targets to my kids like the rest of the school (I know!) which I discuss and give a copy at termly parents meetings. If attendance is poor I will give the parents a target of improving attendance and reminding them that if it continues into reception it will trigger a visit by EWO. Most of my parents are shocked by the percentage figure as they dont realise that taking off 1 day a week adds up so much.
    If this doesnt work I have another meeting showing the childs tracking results showing little progress due to poor attendance. This all sounds draconeon, but is all said in a supportive way and we always ask if there are problems that are causing it first. However if all else fails, contact the EWO as ours is prepared to visit parents even though it isnt statutory. Also have you got a CC that can offer support? I would make sure that all poor attendance is logged and monitored on a child protection reporting concern sheet that can be kept on record, as in my experience the problems usually continue into mainstream and are often linked to other neglect issues.