1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Attendance Allowance

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mrs Mo, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Can someone claim attendance allowance even when they are getting their care for free from a relative?
    I am trying to apply for my mum, who I now care for. She did have carers in daily but it just wasnt working. I now provide her care and she lives with us. When her carers were coming in they suggested she should claim attendance allowance. My mum has an impaired memory and is very confused & elderly so she couldnt have done this herself. I never got round to doing it because I was dealing with the sale of her house, packing for her and moving her here - basically I was working flat out and just didnt have time to do it. I'm now wondering whether her claim will be turned down on the basis that she doesnt have any "costs" because I do it all for free (she does pay us something monthly towards her keep.)

2. Can someone claim attendance allowance even when they are getting their care for free from a relative?
    I am trying to apply for my mum, who I now care for. She did have carers in daily but it just wasnt working. I now provide her care and she lives with us. When her carers were coming in they suggested she should claim attendance allowance. My mum has an impaired memory and is very confused & elderly so she couldnt have done this herself. I never got round to doing it because I was dealing with the sale of her house, packing for her and moving her here - basically I was working flat out and just didnt have time to do it. I'm now wondering whether her claim will be turned down on the basis that she doesnt have any "costs" because I do it all for free (she does pay us something monthly towards her keep.)

3. Yes, you can claim Attendance Allowance if you are getting the care for free from a relative. In fact you can claim it even if you are not actually getting the care - as long as you are deemed to need it.
    If your mum is over 65 then she cannot put in a new claim for Disability Living Allowance (but any DLA claim awarded before she is 65 can be continued)...the benefit you want to look for is Attendance Allowance.
    Also, make sure she is getting Pension Credit if she is entitled.
    You might want to look up your local branch of DIAL - they give free help and guidance on claiming disability-related benefits.

4. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I think it is £47 quid a week and by the sound of it you should have a claim accepted. The CAB are quite good on this stuff, you could have a word with them.

5. anon468

anon468 New commenter

There are 2 rates of Attendance Allowance. The higher rate applies if the person cared for requires care during the night as well as daytime.
    Lower rate is £47.80 pw
    Higher rate is £71.40
    Social Services can be a great help in getting the paperwork completed. My mum's case worker did absolutely everything for us and the money is paid directly into mum's bank account.

6. Mrs Mo do you or does your Mum have a social worker? THis is an impossible situation, you know, and I really think you need help. You should have someone to help you.

7. Thanks for your replies.
    I have completed the AA claim form and will send it off and see what happens.
    Gorgybaby - my mum did have a social worker where she used to live, but not now. I thought they would make a referral to social services here, but they didnt. I guess they thought "yippee, she's off our hands now." I've thought about contacting social services but I'm not sure what exactly they could do for us.
    The reason I'm applying for AA is because having looked into the rules around carer's allowance, it appears you cant claim this unless the person you're caring for is in receipt of some kind of sickness/disability benefit - eg. Incapacity benefit, DLA or attendance allowance. I may well try to claim carer's allowance in due course, particularly since I'm about to be made redundant and am unlikely to land another job due to my age and caring responsibilities. I know this sounds cynical but what the hell.