1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Attempts to rename where you live in order to make it cooler.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Dec 10, 2019.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I'm seething at the moment. The area immediately to the east of where I spend some of my time in brum is a perfectly decent neighbourhhood that is quite lively and interesting. House prices are rising with its popularity. I'll call it blah.

I've just received a letter in the post from neighbourhood.co.uk in which where I live is referred to as west blah. It's not!

2. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Remember Boris Johnson's plan to rename Holborn Midtown and that of the revolting Candy brothers' to turn Fitzrovia into Noho? Most probably not. Why should you, if you didn't live there? But to locals, these things are important.

3. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

It'll never happen to Shard End.

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

We used to live in a small enclave called \higher Whitley (10 houses, 1 pub, 1 church) with a Warrington postcode/address. The house was actually about 6 miles north of Warrington city centre and by no means in Warrington.

When my wife was asked where she lived she would always say any one of 'Cheshire', 'North Cheshire', 'nearby Chester', 'In the countryside'.

I used to chuckle.

nizebaby likes this.
  5. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

We now live in a nice 'posh' area of Birmingham, but I am as proud to say I am from Birmingham as I am mentioning the actual area.

6. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Ah! Wonderful Shard End!

7. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

It would make me chuckle too. This is a bit different. We have the hipsters who are playing into the hands of the estate agents.

8. fennysnake

fennysnake New commenter

My mum lives in Slough.
    Or as many estate agents now refer to it, North Windsor.

9. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

London, Paris, New York, Rome
    Monte Carlo, Shard End and . . .

nizebaby likes this.
  10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

There's a housing estate near us that was built about 15 years ago and they wanted to market it as a village. They lined the main road throughout with 'traditional' local fencing, which as eny fule kno was only used on the corners of country lanes in the olden days to improve visibility for motorists. They constructed a 'village' pond, added a sort of clock tower thing that bore an uncanny resemblance to the main gate of Auschwitz, and worst of all they erected a completely blank stone cenotaph to resemble a war memorial. It has no names inscribed on it (of course) but some people actually leave poppies at it every November.

The other fad you see in some villages is erecting what looks like traditonal farm fencing at the parish boundary either side of the road into the village, as if that makes it part of Lord Cholmondeley-Warner's private estate or something.

11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

We had that at one end for a bit (it might still be there). I think the idea is to make people slow down when driving in as it gives the appearance of the road narrowing. The effect doesn't last long as evidenced by the fact I can't remember if it's still there or not.

My properly old village has a 70's/80's estate on one edge. The builders tried to "soften" it by having green strips and verges all over the place. The result is that a variety of houses own odd very long grassy triangles on the other side of walls where they can't see them or get to them easily but have to go round to keep them mowed. One of these was so large they built a whole new house on it. All was well until it was discovered said house was subsiding as it was on the site of an old pond, the reason a house wasn't built there in the first place.

We're already a Great Blah-di-blah and look down on our Little Blah-di-blah namesake across the river. It started off life as Blah-di-blah, and got the Great in the 12th century, so more impressive renaming has been going on for a long time.

12. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

That's often a passive method of speed control.

13. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I used to work in Hertfordshire. A nearby posh village acquired a post-war estate. Although the whole place is postally, let's say Poshton, the old bit calls itself Poshton Village, and refers to the rest as East Poshton. I recall my incredibly snobbish HoD referring to some pupils as "Yes... but they're East, arent they."

14. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I remember the days when folk from the leafier parts outside Brum used to call us "021 ers".

blazer likes this.
  15. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

OK. I'..m not talking about a new 'village' or anything like that but two adjacent parishes in brum.. One is Stirchley and the other is Cotteridge. Stirchley is going up in the world and suddenly part of Cotteridge has been misappropriated and (entirely unofficially) restyled "West Stirchley". Irritating.

smoothnewt and stopwatch like this.
  16. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I hope no one will suggest renaming Pratts Bottom.

nomad and Morninglover like this.
  17. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

Some pretentious idiot who moved into my parents’ village of mostly elderly people started a campaign to move it into the neighbouring county!

Granted, the village is right on the border of two counties, and has a postcode and telephone numbers for one county, while technically belonging to the other, from which it also receives its local services. The idiot felt that one county was more ‘posh’ than the other, and without consulting the rest of the villagers, who were quite happy being a bit of an anomaly, began campaigning in earnest.

Unfortunately, their ‘desired’ county has a number of quite large cities with higher crime rates, so everyone’s car and house insurance premiums would have sky-rocketed had the plan succeeded. Thankfully, no one paid any attention, but it caused a lot of ill-feeling at the time.

18. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

The village of Sh*tterton in Dorset - just down the road from Puddletown - has suggested changing its name because it is fed up with people coming and stealing the road sign.

smoothnewt likes this.
  19. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

I live near Hull which is officially Kingston-upon-Hull. The council change from one to the other every few years whenever they want a cool "rebrand."

Pageant likes this.
  20. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Our village is at the very tip of the county it is in. Our postcode belongs to a different county and our telephone code to a third.

I grew up souh of Middlesbrough and our postal address included Teeside. My friend was a terrible snob and insisted on putting 'Yorksire'and no postcode when asked his address. I'm guessing he lost a lot of post!

nizebaby likes this.