1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Attainment gap between boys and girls

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by dixonh, Nov 6, 2019.

1. dixonh

dixonh New commenter

Hello everyone

I am looking into the attainment gap between boys and girls and was wondering if anyone has any recommended reading I could look at? Or do you know of any schools who have successfully implemented steps to narrow this gap?

TIA

2. AdamVero

AdamVero New commenter

This free TES resource has useful tools to compare your performance for English and Maths to national data, and looks at adjusting that comparison to reflect the gender mix in your cohort. The PDF file has instructions which are then followed by a more general discussion about gender gaps in various subjects, which may be the part of most interest to you as a starting point.
    https://www.tes.com/teaching-resour...-for-qualifications-national-results-12171113
    Most importantly, the gaps are very different in different subjects, so looking at the gap for average results across subjects, or measures such as Attainment 8 / Progress 8 will not give the clearest picture.
    As for closing the gap, from what I read the gaps which exist in key subjects such as English are largely unchanged over several decades despite so much discussion and effort in this area, so you may be trying to push water uphill here. However, understanding where gaps are likely to exist can still be useful for informing target setting, for example so that you don't set aspirations too high for some and too low for others.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  3. AdamVero

AdamVero New commenter

4. install

install Star commenter

Look more at national context.

There may be a gap - but do both genders match/beat national performance ?