1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Attacked because of my APP judgment

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by leavinglondon, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Hello all,
    Today I assisted a colleague with marking some of his writing. I had levelled a piece at 3b against the APP criteria. Later on in the day, my manager confronted me. 'YOU HAVE LEVELLED IT AS A 3B WHEN IT IS NOT'. To be honest, I felt very attacked as she kept lamenting about it! When I asked her what she would have levelled it as, she said that it was a 3C instead of a 3B. I was SHOCKED!
    My question to you all is: Do you all get APPing spot on in your school? Is it one of those biggies that I have missed ie 1 sub-level difference?

2. Wera6

Wera6 New commenter

It is surely difficult to assess a child based on one piece of writing.
    Do the APP statements not start ....in some forms of writing... in most writing... across a range of writing... for this reason?

3. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Absolutely, Wera. You might say "impossible", let alone "difficult" to give a sound level for one thing - let alone a "sub-level". In strict assessment terms, it makes no sense at all. You need far more evidence. otherwise, it's anybody's guess.
    How do the descriptors differ for a "b" compared to a "c"?

4. There aren't any descriptors specific to sublevels. They are a nonsense. The descriptors are purely for a level judgement.

5. Sounds like your manager has a case of APPitis. Maybe your school does too. This is the problem of bureaucratizing a piece of assessment - management idiots think it is more important than it actually is. It's just a tool to help you teach the children by giving teachers a rough idea of the children's strengths and weaknesses. (Of course, your colleague would probably know that without the bother of APP).
    Anyway, as another poster said, you are supposed to use APP with a range of writing, not one. And there are no sublevels in APP. Just low, secure and high levels. Don't worry about it. Certainly don't be shocked about it. Your "manager" (what's that then, a head?) is just an idiot. There are many of them in teaching.