1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Attack of Luddism: computer problem doin' me 'ead in!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jacob, Aug 24, 2012.

1. tidal

tidal New commenter

AE That definitely sounds like the plug in problem with Audacity. It's called "lame" I think from memory..... Without it audacity does not function properly when processing mp3s

2. Ahh..thanks Tidal...I'll seek it out. (Why do all these programmes need so many other bits tagged on to make them work? Isn't it always the way?)
    "Lame" would be a good name for me when I try to do anything other than type at my PC! [​IMG]

3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

There are levels of complexity for media copying that would tax the patience of angels.

All most people want to do is copy from one point to another but whether it is typ
    e of media used (CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-R DL, DVD+R, DVD+R DL, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM, BD-R, or BD-RE) or music file formats ( mp3, midi, aiff, wav, wma, flac, real audio etc etc ....) or what player or burning software to use, it all seems designed to baffle. You don't have to be a luddite to get confused, just normal.

4. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Except i "ripped off" nobody. Having BOUGHT the CDs you are allowed to copy it for personal use. Now if I was creating and selling CDs of "Dad Rock" it would be illegal. Try reading the small print.

5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

[​IMG]

6. tidal

tidal New commenter

If it helps, as far as I know the term ripping predates the facillity now so common on modern computers and has nothing at all to do with "ripping off" music companies. IIRC it was actually first applied to converting images to digital formats using "Raster Image Processing" and the acronym/term migrated to digitizing music as originally a similar process was used. I could be wrong, but don't think I am..... *wonders if Bauble can confirm/deny*

7. I always thought it stood for Record Instead of Paying. ;¬))

8. tidal

tidal New commenter

:-D *wishes his useless phone would operate google* Sadly as this is on a carp network Google won't let me use their facility without having to solve a captcha first. But this phone operates on gprs (nearly 2G) and is very slow. So by the time the captcha image reaches my phone, is typed in using a textpad pane and is sent back the captcha times out and we start again. On a good day it works once out of 10 attempts....... Unsurprisingly I too get moments of luddite fury

9. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

Patience is a virtue, tidal.

10. tidal

tidal New commenter

More like a necessity lol The only time it has ever got me to swearing stage is when contributions to a thread on opinion were being pre-modded. I literally couldn't get a word in ......... :-(