1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Attack of Luddism: computer problem doin' me 'ead in!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jacob, Aug 24, 2012.

1. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I have all sorts on the computer "playlist" icluding an album I have copied to a disc for in the car. I want to copy some other albums to the playlist stored on the computer but do not appear to be able to do so. I have the thing called "nero" installed which will copy all the tracks off a disc, but does not seem to offer a way to save them to the playlist, it just wants to "burn" disc?
    Anyone able to enlighten me how to copy tracks from cds to the playlist? Replies in plain idiot proof language please.

2. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I have all sorts on the computer "playlist" icluding an album I have copied to a disc for in the car. I want to copy some other albums to the playlist stored on the computer but do not appear to be able to do so. I have the thing called "nero" installed which will copy all the tracks off a disc, but does not seem to offer a way to save them to the playlist, it just wants to "burn" disc?
    Anyone able to enlighten me how to copy tracks from cds to the playlist? Replies in plain idiot proof language please.

3. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Sorry, Jacob. I don't have playlists. I just have three sons who help me out with anything like this. Sadly, one is at work and two are asleep so I can't ask their advice.
    I have an inkling of an idea but I've never actually done it so I don't know it it's right but here goes:
    I think you can "drag and drop" which means that you point your cursor to the tune you want to move to your playlist. Then highlight by holding down the clicking button on your mouse and moving it all the way along the title. Then you drag it to the place that says playlist by holding down the clicking button on your mouse and moving it to the playlist place on your screen. Then you let the clicking button up and this drops the thing that you've dragged.

4. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I rip the whole CD using Windows media player and then drag and drop tracks to the playlist from there.
    Remember to check it's the right format - don't rip to MP3 if it's for a player that won't recognise them - like my car, for instance[​IMG].

5. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

Drag yourself into August 2012 and get an ipod.[​IMG]
    You can then just plug it into your CD player via a lead and you don't need disks.
    It's easy peasy lemon squeezy.

6. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Nope. It won't let me "drag and drop". How the hell did I manage to save one album, but now can't save any others?

7. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I have sorted out my problem.
    It was one of "language". These computer bods (the sort who wear woolly hats and don't go out in daylight and can hack into the Pentagon) use a completely different language to us mere mortals who were taught English by stern faced (dubiously female) Irish Catholic nuns in the 1960s.
    In my vocabulary "rip" is a tear in cloth or paper, it does not mean "copy". "Burn" likewise is about combustion. If I "burn" a CD it will melt being made of a thermoplastic.
    So now my albums are "ripped" (f*****g stupid word!) to the "library" (which contains no bloody books!) and have been "dragged and dropped" onto my playlist. And now presumably I can put what tracks I want on a "dad rock" CD for the car!
    GRRRRR!

8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Think of "rip" in the phrase "rip off"....

9. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

You been readin' that "Fifty Shades" filth?!

10. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

No.
    You been ripping off the artists by illegally coping their work?

(That's where it started...)

11. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

Have you been spying on me via your webcam?

12. tidal

tidal New commenter

Jacob At the risk of making you feel even more of a technophobe there is a 76yr old granny in my AgeUK tutor group who, a mere 9 weeks ago, couldn't even open media player. She is currently transferring her whole vinyl record collection to mp3 and CD using some pretty hi-tech software/hardware..... Have you ever considered evening classes? You know, just to bring yourself into the 20th century........ never mind this one :-D

13. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

wish they would take my wife on....she cant even remember her password to hotmail most of the time......or how to navigate around it!

14. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

nero is ****. I can tell you that without having attended evening classes.

15. EDITED:
    Eeek..sent too soon in error!

16. *envious*
    Oh Tidal how I wish I had someone to watch over me and spot glitches when I try to do something like this. She is a lucky lady....I want someone to hold my hand and tell me what to do!
    I know how to burn CDs...did many in the past, but now, for some reason, my PC just doesn't want to play when I try.
    Like you Jacob, I want to burn some "Mum Stuff" complilations to CD for CD players at home...have got loads already but want my current stuff off the PC and on to CDs.
    Can I do this of late? Nope, and I have no idea why when I had no problem before!
    Unlike you Jacob (I'd do a smug look but it would be very premature) I was OK with all the rip, burn and library stuff...but I have loads of MP3 tracks on Media Player which won't come off the PC no matter how vigilant I am in trying to problem solve. [​IMG]
    My PC doesn't seem to recognise burners.
    I know Media player is supposed to have a built-in one, but it always tells me to 'open burner' so I do....I got myself CD Burner XP and also Audacity...(because I want to concvert some cassettes....I know...very old school, but that's another story) but although both open when I ask them to, no tracks from Media Player will go to either of them when I try to compile a play-list. I also keep being told to put a CD in the CD player...even though I have!
    I have given up in frustration and it looks like my music will be held on my hard-drive forever more....*wail*
    I'd join Jacob in the Luddites' corner, but it seems he doesn't have to stay there any longer.[​IMG]

17. tidal

tidal New commenter

Have you got the appropriate plug-in for Audacity AE? Without it you can't import/export files to mp3. I'd tell you what it's called but current have no eletricity so can't access computer. As for burning cds with media player, sometimes the version and update status causes the problem as this prevents blank cds OF CERTAIN TYPES being recognised..... Which means that sometimes you just have to use something like Nero (spits) and grab the music files directly from the music folders (my music in xp) rather than from media player..... However only in sheer desperation should you use the windows disc creator...... it does work, but not that often

18. I use itunes for this kind of stuff (and there's a frustration all of its own!) but I've just had a quick look at the Windows Media Player and it seems really straightforward...oh! OK, it's just crashed while trying to update...I'll shut up now.

19. Um...see now you have thrown me Tidal. [​IMG] I've got no idea....
    All I can say is, I bought an EnViro Cassette Converter which needed Audacity to erm....change things (?) so I searched for and got Audacity for free...online...and it's all there...pops up when I ask it to etc...but nothing will tranfer from Media Player on to it. Same with XP CD Burner.
    It's a different story, but the EnViro Cassette converter didn't work either...*more wailing* [​IMG]
    Oh it showed that it was taking on the cassette..uploading stuff etc...but there was no replay! Just nothing.
    I think my PC is evil...it has gone over to the dark side and is fighting me. [​IMG]

20. tidal

tidal New commenter

I-tunes is the work of the devil and should be exorcised from all computers......... It is however only a few rungs down the ladder to perdition from media player