1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Attaching a photo to a job application

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by allybally, Feb 25, 2011.

1. What do people think about a job ad which asks you to attach a photograph to the application? Fair enough if you're applying to join a modelling agency or similar, but I honestly can't think of a legitimate reason why you'd be asked to do this, for a job as a teacher.
    Any ideas?

2. What do people think about a job ad which asks you to attach a photograph to the application? Fair enough if you're applying to join a modelling agency or similar, but I honestly can't think of a legitimate reason why you'd be asked to do this, for a job as a teacher.
    Any ideas?

3. With age / race discrimination legislation, they're leaving themselves open to complaints.

Does the ad specifically state the photo must be of yourself? :cool:

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I love it! I have some fantastic photos of my garden in the summer or of the park during the snowy spell...or perhaps the ones I took in Uluru in 2000....the possibilities are endless.
    Sounds distinctly dodgy to me - I'd be taking it up with the union for the reasons previously stated.

5. sbf

sbf New commenter

Good point, send in a pic of Katie Melua and you will be quids in.

6. Ha ha. It does actually just say "a passport sized photograph", so the possibilities are endless.

7. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

Do you think they will risk appointing a black cat? They may be superstitious!

8. No teaching position should ask for a photograph.

If it's a local authority they should be strung up as it's highly inappropriate.

Then again I would just add a photo of me in about 1975 and enjoy the surprise.

9. I've got a lovely picture of me at eight months sitting up on a sheepskin rug holding my teddy. So cute, I would have to get the job ;-)

10. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

It's quite common with overseas/international school recruitment (CV/applications). But I'm assuming that this is not one of those.

11. Might I suggest you're not as blunt as that? Perhaps phone up and ask if it's a close up photo or a full length photo they are requesting (or something equally as irrelevant) and say 'ah right, I haven't been asked for a photo before so I was a bit unsure' and hope that they divulge their reasons.
    I just feel if you ask them outright you're pretty much as well not applying in the first place as I'm almost positive they'll rule you out for questioning them.

I was going to do it without saying my name. I may not agree with the policy, but I don't want my card to be marked at this stage!

12. Oops - I clearly haven't got the hang of the 'quote' thing: just the bottom bit is mine.

13. Bit of lateral thought required!!
    Applicants who were offered phone interviews were required to present themselves to a specified Government Office for the interview. Said Government Office had been supplied with a copy of their photograph.