1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Atonement - any nifty ideas?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by Lemmy, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Lemmy

Lemmy New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I'm enjoying teaching Christian doctrine such as the Fall and Incarnation in the new 9-1 GCSE.
    Wondered if anyone had any nifty ideas to demonstrate the meaning of atonement to pupils?

There's some good videos (request.org.uk) but I just know there's something clever I can do in lessons with a prop or two - just can't figure what it is..

Thanks

2. Lemmy

Lemmy New commenter

Hi, I thought I'd reply to my own question! In the end I just got two pupils to demonstrate the chasm between God and man after the Fall. To demonstrate man's sin I gave one student some pebbles. The class identified each of the pebbles (e.g. jealousy, hatred) and we wrapped them up in a dirty tea cloth. Then I said that justice means there is a price to pay for the bag of sin and we stuck it on with a post-it - death. Then Jesus is brought on stage from behind God (i.e incarnation) and we transferred the post-it to him. So then he dies (arms outstretched, a bridge between the two) and 'man' is able cross over to God, a lovely reconciliation.
    Not outstanding I'm sure but at least it was a visual demonstration!
    Next lesson - salvation. I will take them back to the moment where 'man' can start to walk the path towards God through Jesus. Is it a walk that he is prepared to take? Is it a gift that he is prepared to unwrap? what does walking this path really mean? Then unpack different ideas about how a person is 'saved'.

So how do I get onto this facebook group for R.S teachers to share resources and ideas? I is a facebook dimwit..