1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Atomic bomb survivor Sumiteru Taniguchi dies

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Aug 30, 2017.

1. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Atomic bomb survivor Sumiteru Taniguchi dies

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20170830_21/
    http://news.abs-cbn.com/overseas/08/30/17/postman-who-survived-nagasaki-a-bomb-dies-at-88
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsutomu_Yamaguchi
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_bombings_of_Hiroshima_and_Nagasaki

Sumiteru Taniguch is someone we should pay tribute to as a survivor of the terrible nuclear bomb explosion 100m above the ground for maximum effect (the initial meaning of "ground zero") at Nagasaki at the end of WW2. Here is not a comedian, a Radio 2 DJ, a pop singer, or some such, who our society normally makes such a lot of fuss about. Here is a postman who fought his own dreadful ill health throughout his life to try and make sure that the world would not forget the terrible sins of war and the terrible power we have had since then to obliterate half of humanity or more, by someone as stupid as Donald Trump or the like, with the push of one big red button.

Have we listened to him? So far maybe, but let us hope and pray we continue to do so.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  2. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Does nobody here know who Sumiteru Taniguchi was, what happened to him, and what he represents? I am very disappointed and rather saddened.

3. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

I did after checking your links Yamaguchi is a more interesting story.

4. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I must admit, I stuck the ref to Tsutomu Yamaguchi in by mistake. They all have a story to tell us though, which, --- and I ask the question again, -- are we listening to them nowadays? Are we so complacent that we are not worried about what happened to the citizens of Nagasaki and Hiroshima, could happen to us? And most of us would not even have had any inkling that it was even happening, it would be over so quickly. But a very few of us would struggle to live the rest of our lives with horrendous debilitating burns and radio active damage like Tsutomu Yamaguchi and Sumiteru Taniguchi and many others.

Though with the overkill ability of modern nucs, I don't think it likely anybody would be left.

5. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Might not be the last one if Trump and Kim cant get it together...

6. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Well, that is the worry.

7. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Is it ok to reference the North Korean leader here? After all, it is he not Trump who is testing missiles left right and centre. I despise Trump and all he stands for and sympathise with the victims of the A bomb but if we are going to hint darkly at possible starters of Nuclear war perhaps we should point the finger in the correct direction rather than let political bias become confused with genuine concern.

8. elledriver

In context though, the conventional bombing of Tokyo killed more people in a single night than Hiroshima or Nagasaki individually. The bombing of Hamburg is not a long way behind.

red_observer likes this.
  9. Oscillatingass

Was it six million starved, gassed and then cremated?

10. red_observer

I just did! The thread was referring to the last survivor of the Atomic bomb being dropped on Japan and all I said was that he may not be the last one...he will be the last one on Japan of course. Also I said Trump and Kim if you are reading my post in reference to your comment? Obama and Bush didn't threatened PDRK but I agree that he is acting foolishly (Kim that is). But as the Russians and Chinese are pointing out, sanctions and threats wont make the situation better as Kim is hell bent on one course unless we calm him down.

11. red_observer

Interesting and fair point @elledriver or Cologne or Dresden for that matter. And of course the many British cities but not in the same amount I concede.

12. red_observer

I'm not sure of the relevance of that point to this discussion?

13. Oscillatingass

Well the point is that Elle seemed to imply the bombing of Hamburg was a something of which we should all be ashamed. The German cities were bombed as part of the allied effort to win the war whereas the six million jews were actually deliberately murdered by people who the occupants of the German cities supported. Any sympathy for them needs to be viewed in that light.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  14. Oscillatingass

My post was in reply to the OP who said:
    "try and make sure that the world would not forget the terrible sins of war and the terrible power we have had since then to obliterate half of humanity or more, by someone as stupid as Donald Trump or the like, with the push of one big red button."
    Donald Trump or the like. Not Kim Jung-Un or the like. It is KIm Jung-Un who is deliberately being trying to provoke conflict. As I said I despise Trump and everything he stands for but I get irritated by casual unthinking bias.

15. elledriver

Elle's point was that area bombing caused similar numbers of civilian casualties to atomic weapons. The moral line between the two is very small. The piles of incinerated bodies look much the same..

16. Oscillatingass

Dont see what Hamburg has got to do with Tokyo. Both very different circumstances. War is a vile business but I object to the efforts of some to suggest the allies efforts at waging war are exactly the same as that of the Nazis.

17. red_observer

Well it wasn't as if the Germans were holding back was it?
    sympathy for anyone who died, yes. including my uncle by the way.

18. red_observer

Hes playing his part yes but why is he doing what he is doing? North Korea is cornered, or feels so. Surely we should be looking at ways of reducing tension. Its not about policital bias at all that's just a cheap shot.

19. red_observer

Fair point but this was Total War. Did you want us to be fair to the Germans?

20. red_observer

You seem to be moving your moral compass around quite a bit for someone pointing fingers.
    The people of Tokyo didn't count then...? hmmm...interesting ....not.