1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Atom models

Discussion in 'Science' started by blazer, Jun 12, 2011.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Dolly mixtrues or Marshmallows?

2. Big beads threaded on the wire?

3. Is this an end of term filler activity?
    What, if anything, do you want them to learn?
    Is there something which might have a greater benefit to their future, either in the run up to their Science GCSEs or simply within the wider context of education?
    I can appreciate that a "3D"ish model of electrons orbiting a central nucleus might give them some insight into atomic struture - try different coloured plasticene balls for p,n and smaller ones for e, held apart by wire ties from platic bags (or copper iwre from stock cupboard) BUT remember how we mislead people about the scale of atoms.

4. Thanks for the ideas. No it isn't a 'filler' activity. This group (with their wide and varied special needs) will be starting the BTEC in September and I need a variety of different activities to enable them to access the content. Literacy skills are very poor but the students are generally very enthusiastic but lacking confidence. An activity where the weakest students don't have to read and write but can excel at something is a great confidence builder for them (as previous project work has shown). I'm open to any suggestions as to how to make atomic structure more accessible to low ability!

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I may be wrong but I beleive that you can meet BTec standards in non written ways so a model made by a child can satisfy criteria at least at Pass level.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Mind you you will need a big storage area and if you are keeping them for a couple of years don't use sweets!