1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ATL subscription 2010-11

Discussion in 'Personal' started by wizzi, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Can anyone tell me what the 2010-11 ATL subscription for a full time teacher was. I'm trying to do my tax return and I can't get my sept 2010 statement from my bank which would tell me what I paid.

Thanks

2. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Don't know if this is any help but I checked my December payment and it was £14.51. I notice that January was £15.09

3. Thanks Kitty

I've just hunted into yet more boxes and found my subscription advice for 2010-11 and I paid £161 so the tax man will owe me money as I can claim back 90% of that.

Great.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You can't claim back 90% of the subscription.
    You can offset 90% against tax, otehrwise known as 90% being tax deductible.
    90% of £161 is £144-90. You will not have to pay tax on £145 (they round up in your favour) of your earnings, giving you a tax rebate of £29 if your highest rate of tax is 20% and £58 if your highest rate is 40%.
    When you tell them the 90% amount for the 2011/12 tax year, they will adjust your tax code so that you pay less tax in the first place.

5. Thanks Jubillee that's what I meant I I could offset the 9O%