1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Atkins Diet

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by scottjw, Jul 13, 2011.

1. I have just started on this, I love my meat, eggs and cheese, so I always have plenty I can eat. However I do feel it is missing the accompaniment (the things which are the carbs).
    Has anyone done the diet, and if so, what do you have with your meat etc?

I am in the induction phase at the moment.
    Thanks. Scott

2. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

There's a good reason for this!
    No, but I have relatives who have and the feedback is that the diet is unsustainable long-term and any weightloss will soon be regained once the dieter lapses.
    Any diet that bans fresh fruit and veg is foolhardy.
    The fact that your are missing food already is a sign that you will find it hard to keep it up.

Err...sorry for the minor rant there...welcome to the forum Scott.
    The forum is a haven for people who love food, but also people who are interested in eating healthily. We will gladly tell all of our experiences about healthy, balanced meals and how we manage (or not, sometimes) to eat a balanced diet.
    I'm not sure many on here would advocate the Atkins diet, on the other hand.
    I wish you luck though.

3. All these diets are just quick fixes and unsustainable long term. But you know that OP - no?
    If you would like to visit us on the 3 stone thread over on H&W, you will see that the emphasis has changed from the desire to lose weight and be thin to the desire to lose weight and be healthy. Talk to Scienceguy - he is our inspiration.
    I restrict carbs ( not cut them out ) , fats and sweet things and have lost 2 st so far. I started by cutting out just about everything but it just didn't work. Now I eat well and healthily. I am losing about 1lb per week now but that is fine as I have relearned good eating habits which will hopefully take me into a long, healthy old age. It's the only way!

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I tried Atkins once but lasted about a week. I didn't like the restrictions on fruit and veg.
    I have been doing Weight watchers for 6 weeks now and have lost over a stone already. The new points system allows you unlimited fruit and veg (except a few starchy things like spuds) and it encourages exercise. I feel good on it and it feels sustainable. I would recommend it.

5. Well with the 'new' Atkins, I think it is more sustainable, afterall, it is just limiting carbs. I have done the diet for 11 days and lost nearly 8 pounds. When I have lost about another 8, I intend on then just eating a balanced, healthy diet (which I know I should have done anyway).

Thanks for your feedback

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

I suppose that the best thing re carbs might be to keep them at a steady level - a modest amount when not dieting, and fit the rest of your diet around them when you are.
    In other words, get into the habit of three new potatoes or one old one and stick to it whether you're dieting or not. Ditto pasta and rice etc.
    Just a thought.

7. I have been doing the 'Idiot Proof Diet' since January. It low carb but seemingly healthier than Atkins. There is a cook book that has some great ideas. I don't eat bread, rice, pasta, sugar etc. at all at the moment and feel better than I have for a long time and have lost weight steadily. For dinner I have just had a steak and lots of salad and feel full. I make a salad for lunch every day and vary what I have (tuna, salami, ham, cheese etc..........). Snacks are usually a small amount of nuts. Veggies are not really limited (though carrots, peas, sweetcorn and parsnips are 'not allowed'!). I make lots of lovely curries, casseroles and adapted dishes such as lasagne made with courgette instead of pasta and eat with green veg, especially spinach to mop up any sauces. The key is to plan well ahead so no making toast or cheese and crackers as a quick fix. I am never hungry and still feel I eat fairly healthily.
    Cauliflower mash is a good potato substitute and celeriac chips or dauphinoise are yummy. I even make low carb cake and muffins from ground almonds!