1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Athletics 40min Interview Ideas

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by Foneypharaoh, May 25, 2011.

1. If you know your relays, baton changing is a top lesson.
    High jump - they love the fozz.
    Wouldn't go for anything above 60m unless you are doing a starts - pick up - maintain - for a 100m.
    I know I haven't offered any depth, just what I know gets the class involved and interested quickly.
    Whether you know your stuff or not, they will be looking at delivery, your enthusiasm and your class control.
    Hammer and Pole Vault are 'no nos'.

2. Ha, found out I am teaching javelin, no choice!! I like javelin though, will just make sure I am hot on safety! Planning on doing some lead-up throws to start e.g. with tennis balls, from different positions to focus on arching back and keeping arm straight, then developing onto full standing throw. Will make extra sure I am hot on safety, having a throwing area and a waiting line, using whistle to collect etc.
    Do you think it will be acceptable to bring some equipment from my own school, as we've got some Nerf Howlers which are fantastic for developing the throwing action, but don't want to look like their equipment isn't good enough?

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

I would take the Nerfs. They are great and get the kids inspired to throw further. However I would check first, or have 2 plans - 1 for Howlers, 1 without, in case they say no when you get there.
    I think it would show initiative on your part.
    If you are using proper javelins I would just focus on a standing throw ie without run up.
    I am sure you will do this anyway but continually reinforce the safety rules for throwing/collecting/returning. If in doubt, go OTT with this.
    I am surprised they are doing javelin with interviewees due to the potential safety risks with people who are an unknown quantity (I wonder if they have done a risk assessment for their interviews!)

4. Depends on the school -

private school / "games teacher" in the job advert - do an old school, throw, stop, wait, collect routine.

"Innovative practitioner" in the job advert / Academy school - I would not even get the javelins out for year 7 - stick to the nerfs and hit them with a full on guided discovery lesson, zero command teaching, loads of different throwing impliments where the students are experimenting with throwing techniques and coming up with their own answers on how we should use our bodies to propel the objects.

good luck.

5. Well I didn't get the job, but after being in the school I realised it's not a place I would like to work anyways so am not as disappointed as I thought I would be!
    Apparently it was between me and one other, and the only thing that they could pick out from me was that the pupils didn't get going in the lesson as quickly as they did in the groups taught by the other interviewees. My argument, however, is that first of all I was the only one teaching a throwing activity and so I was reinforcing the safety aspects of the lesson such as how to thow/collect safely etc, and even then I was talking for less than 5 minutes. So of course I spent longer explaining that side of things than I would have needed to if I was teaching long jump, and if I hadn't have explained safety rules, I would have been marked down upon for that. But hey, that's life. If they are willing for safety to be brushed over then it is not a place I really want to work in!

6. ah, obviously not the place for you.
    I had a simlar experience, I went for a job as 'subject leader / innovative lead practitioner" again mine was throwing, but it was the shot.
    The other 4 candidates played it safe with very basic run of the mill lessons. Now, considering the job title I went the guided discovery route and found out at the end that the only real reason for the demo lesson was to ensure we can teach safely.
    In my book, safety is the very very basics of teaching. if you are judging a subject leader on their safety and not the student's learning then that is not where I want to be.
    It goes without saying I did not get the job, not because my lesson was unsafe, it was very safe, but I honestly believe the imagination, experimentation and divergent nature of the lesson put off those observing.
    If you assess as a dinosaur, you will just employ younger dinosaurs.
    best of luck for your next interview.

7. Thanks for the replies and the support, glad it wasn't just me thinking of excuses for myself for not getting the job!
    I agree with the dinosaur comment - I was also the only one to include a peer coaching resource but alas, that was still not good enough.
    Thanks again, good to know some of us have our minds in the right places! [​IMG]

8. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

HODs will deny it but who they choose depends on so many things other than the interview.
    I once was one of 2 going for a job at a very sporty school. I heard the two PE staff (including the HOD) in staff room discussing the interview lessons (they made a bad job of being discrete) and could hear the staff member tell the HOD 'but today's lesson was far better' (I was interviewed that day, with the other person the day before). I didn't get the job.
    I then went for a job when all the candidates had all singing and dancing lessons, yet none of them (including me) got the job. Bit of digging found out that the staff member leaving was in charge of cricket and football teams, and the person who got the job had the most cricket and football experience. Some will argue that the cricket and football were areas of the curriculum that needed staff expertise, but I think it's plain to see what happened.
    It takes time to find the right school. Keep going - they are out there.