1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

At your Happiest....

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by brookes, Mar 21, 2011.

1. I couldn't narrow it down to one point, and then I realised that the all have one thing in common - when you see a kid enjoying your teaching be it bottom set year 7 or the die-hard year 13s.

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I like seeing students make that turn around in either attitude or achievement.
    It probably happens more often in my A level classes but it's more hard won and therefore more satisfying with lower ability groups.
    I enjoy the subject matter more at A level.
    I don't enjoy teaching groups where immature behaviour detracts from learning.

3. I've taught a range of students in my relatively short 6 years.
    However I've felt that second set GCSE students are the best to work with. They haven't got the arrogance of top sets (the whole 'I know everything' attitude), they're usually more mature than other sets, and they're pretty bright.
    I can't abide the immaturity of some Y7s - 'can I turn the page', 'can you check my answer (times 100)', 'can I use this pen', etc.
    Oh and bottom set Y9? Chaos. Hormones + Stunted Intellect + Short Attention Span = Rapidly Greying and Balding Scentless.

4. At my happiest when I go into lessons with only the briefest of ideas about what I want students to learn and allow myself the freedom to go wherever the maths takes us. I thrive on spontaneity and when I free myself from the constraints of schemes of work, syllabii, specifications and lesson plans I enjoy it so much. Not only that but I honestly feel that they are the best lessons my students have.

Perhaps better to keep this a secret between those of us who post here. I wouldn't want my department to know that their leader is such a hypocrite particularly with an inspection next week!!!

5. All the best with the inspection mathsteacher1953.

Couldn't agree more with the post about some Year 9 classes and the arrogance of some top sets.

The inspiration for the thread is great. I think so often we get tired and caught up in the daily routine that it's easy to forget that it's often a great job. I would struggle to think of too many other jobs where it would be up to an individual to decide so much of how they were going to tackle a particular task.

6. I am happiest when the collective "penny drops" after initially being confused.
    The small o mouths followed by the ahhh -ing sounds.
    This happened with my year 13 class today, so so terribly funny.
    When my students traffic light cards all get turned from red [don't understand] to green [do understand].
    When I 'invent' a solution to the crazy problems that face me, like no protractors.
    When a student notices the extra effort that I make and says thank you.
    When the children say that they really enjoyed doing some maths.
    When they ask for more!

7. Piranha

Piranha Lead commenter

i enjoy any lesson where students enjoy learning and real progress is made, especially when the atmosphere is pleasantly informal and we can have the odd laugh. I am happiest when the Maths gets interesting too. I've just swapped an M3 lesson for support for a student taking STEP. She turned up today with two STEP 2 questions she couldn't do, and we had a fascinating 50 minutes solving them together.