1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

At which stage do you rubbish your bread?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Feb 20, 2016.

?

When should bread switch bins?

1. The day following its printed expiry, whatever

8.3%
  2. Seems legit but their is an audible velcro-tear when lifting one slice from another

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Smells like beer

16.7%
  4. Green freckles

41.7%
  5. Green warts

8.3%
  6. It's eaten the teacakes and is looking at me funny

25.0%
  1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

[​IMG]

My toasting dilemma this morning. As it happens, velcro-toast is not tasty irrespective of how heavily I lash the margarine and honey.

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I make my own bread these days and love the fact that it goes stale rather than mouldy.

RedQuilt likes this.
  3. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

I never rubbish my bread. Whatever remains uneaten is turned into breadcrumbs and frozen.

xena-warrior likes this.
  4. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I never rubbish it. I only buy small wholemeal loaves and keep them in the freezer. I eat 2 slices a day and get them out frozen- a slice defrosts in a few minutes, or immediately, if toasted.

emerald52, wanet and Kartoshka like this.
  5. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I don't buy sliced bread very often so I can't use your velcro measure.
    If the bread is just a bit dry but smells OK then I make a bread and butter pudding with it. Truth to tell, I'm really fussy about bread and if it's anything much older than freshly baked I'm not interested.

Sorry about your breakfast, btw.

6. Vince_Ulam

Thanks @RedQuilt. The starlings fed well this morning.

RedQuilt likes this.
  7. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

When it's no longer even good for toasting . . . then it goes out for the birds.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  8. Vince_Ulam

There is a bread maker here but, like an oven, apparently I must buy things to put into it.

kibosh likes this.
  9. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Just toast it...

racroesus likes this.
  10. Vince_Ulam

Opening post, first sentence, second word. Rhymes with coasting.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Same here!

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Can't believe you guys do this ?

Most bread will last over a week in the fridge anyway.

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Eaten fresh until dry, toasted until mould becomes visible, any left goes in the food recycling bin.

I spit on sell by dates. Ptah!

racroesus and cuteinpuce like this.
  14. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I'm the same but it is extremely rare for it to last long enough to go mouldy

racroesus likes this.
  15. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Me too. One of our in-built skills as humans is the ability to tell when food is unfit to eat. (Hint: it smells, glows in the dark or has moving parts.)

16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Its what your nose is for.Smell it.Soon tells you if it is off.
    We rarely have much left and what is left is fed to birds or recycling bin.
    I don't buy fresh bread as it often does not get eaten in a day.That s also why I no longer make my own....wasted effort and time...plus to buy it daily is expensive as they ant nearly £3 for a small loaf.

17. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

We go shopping towards the end of the day when bread is usually reduced in price. At supermarkets with in store bakeries they do this with anything they have as the idea is it is fresh everyday, so we get fresh bread for half the price or less. Crusty rolls freeze really well and come out near perfect, we've 3 bags at the moment in the freezer of different sorts, take one out to de-frost as needed. Likewise crusty loaves which get cut in half and bagged.

Thing is though we (especially Mrs.M.) have this obsession with feeding the birds, so any loaf doesn't last into the second day before being chucked out for them. Came back with 4 12p loaves the other day, only half of one left now.

We don't really throw any food in the rubbish. It goes us, dog and cat, birds, compost heap.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  18. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Same here. We keep all bread produce in the freezer, therefore we don't waste any.

wanet likes this.
  19. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I rather miss my ex son in law coming home on leave as he used to trawl though the bread bin (and area ) oh and if am being honest the fridge too - and get rid of anything sprouting any green.

What an admission eh ?:oops:

20. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

The bread maker is great for eliminating waste - we never throw any away now.