1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

At what time do you generally go to bed?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tartetatin, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Are you an early bird or a bit of a night owl?
    The reason I'm asking is that I seem to have got myself into bad, student-like habits: staying up really late to read my book (wouldn't want to cut my day too short and minimise my 'me' time without the children!), falling asleep on sofa (usually unwashed, fully dressed and with contacts still in) before finally dragging myself up to bed in the early hours, feeling tired the next day.
    I am feeling so scunnered with myself and need to get into a better routine. [​IMG] Why would I resist so strongly what I know would make me feel better? ... if that makes sense.
    Anyway, what's your bedtime routine? I'm guessing that you're a fairly orderly lot [​IMG]

2. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Go to bed at midnight, read till 1 am. In the hols, usually sleep till at least 10 or 11 in the morning.

3. impis

impis New commenter

Term time I go to bed at 9pm and get up at 5.30am.
    Holidays - I stay up much later, but annoyingly, often still wake at 5.30. By late August, most years, my body clock has just begun to wind down when its time to wind back up again ready for the new school year in September.

4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

Ideally 10.30pm, especially in term time, but the hour gets later and later as the holidays set in. I don't cope well with changes to my sleep pattern, as my sleep is pretty poor quality at the best of times, so I am trying to maintain a regular pattern throughout the holiday - especially as I am trying to establish some kind of jogging-round-the-park routine before it gets too hot in the morning, for which I need to be up early.

5. I'm with Lardylegs on this one. That's exactly my pattern.
    Unfortunately, I've got 2 kids who also love to stay up late and sleep late. (They are only 10 and 6 but have alwways had a bit of the teenage sleep-vibe going.) It sounds perfect, and is lovely when we all wake up late from a delicious lie in. What isn't so nice is when they are still awake at midnight themselves, when I want some peace and quiet to read.
    The compromise is a lie in or two followed by a couple of days where we plan activities or trips that mean we are up early, so they are tired the next night. They only really snap out of it in the first day back into routine.
    I do love an afternoon nap though. Even if I've had a lie in too.

6. Term time - alarm goes off at 5.45, so it's bed for 9ish, lights out no later than 10. Holidays rarely an hour later than that as OH still has to get up around 7ish. Weekends OH catches up on sleep, and can sleep in until 9 or 10. Me, even at weekends and holidays, I'm up no later than 9, pottering, baking or drinking a brew, often in pjs in the garden trying not to frighten the neighbours!

Definitely an early bird.

7. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Bed about 11 and read until 12.30 ish. up at 7.30. Need more sleep really but like the OP I resent giving up my time to sleeping. If i didnt have to work i expect i would go up about 1.30-2 am and rise after 9 each day.

8. On a work day I get up about 7-7:15, then rush around like a headless chicken to ensure we're all out of the house on time. Bed at 10:30 ish but hardly lay down to sleep until about 11:30-12:00, sometimes later, rare occassions 1,2 or 3 work depending.

On the weekend Mr Fig let's me sleep in, so up in bed about 9:30 ish then laze in bed reading or surfing until 10:30-12:00 (depends on what I can get away with [​IMG] )

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I've been trying to re-train myself to get 8 hours sleep as part of my new healthy lifestyle - I'm sure that years of sitting up til all hours and occasional all-nighters (when I sat up too late and got too worried about sleeping in to go to bed) contributed to my recent heart attack. I've never been able to nap - I just feel ghastly if I do - but it's something else I've tried to change so that I rest when I need to.
    All night tv, including catch up and iplayer etc, and books are my downfall.

10. laffal0t

laffal0t New commenter

Bedtime ..anything from 12:00 to 02:00, depends on what I'm doing.
    In term time I'm up about 5:45, during the holidays it's usually about 8:00 - 8:30 ( very occasionally much later).

:eek:)

11. lardylegs

I'm feeling quite shaky about all these peeps who get up at 5.00 or something?? What the F?? It's the middle of the flucking night!!!!

12. lardylegs

Oh, and Waterfin, I fear the Owl Thing passes on to the enfants.... my own offspring are now 21 and 23, and we all bump into each other after midnight, and nobody is ever asleep before 1 am, and nobody is ever up before 10 am in the hols!

13. I think it's how you train them as babies. Lark friends used to treat the 5/6 a.m. feed as breakfast and start the day. Owls like me fed them in the dark and put them back down. Result: more owls.
    However bone-tired I am at 5 (lowspot of the day), I get a second wind about 9 so don't go to bed until midnight, work day or not. It has always taken me at least an hour to drop off so I spend most of my life knackered. In the holidays i sleep till 10 and then wonder why i can't get to sleep at night. I go up the same time as my husband so I don't wake him up, but I just lie there planning hw I'll spend the Euromillions jackpot..
    Recently with the hot flushes and general menopause-induced insomnia, I have been lying there till 3 a.m. not asleep, so have taken to providing a goodnight cuddle and then going back downstairs to do quiet things I never get round to - sorting out embroidery threads, clearing out drawers, mending - and then go up about 3.

14. vannie

vannie Lead commenter

We used to be so pleased about our boy sleeping through - he always did 13 hours a night. Now it's a somewhat different story. Still up after midnight and unable to get out of bed (he's still there now)
    We are both real night owls so it's hard to be too damning.
    Even during term time I find it hard to get to bed before midnight. I do sleep in on Saturdays but I'm up and about during the week. But not at 5. That's brutal that is.
    Unfortunately him indoors is a terrible snorer. If he wakes me up in the morning I have to get out of bed.

15. I'm finding sleepingreally difficult at the moment, and it is not helped by 2children who goto bed very late.
    I can't sleep until at least an hour after they go to sleep, and then if I start to do something to occupy myself, it could be 2am. Of course that isn't good for my husband, who has to get up for work anyway, and as much as he says I don't waken him, I know I do.
    Even if I stay up until 2am, it will be at least an hour or more, before I settle to sleep.
    My youngest daughter (almost 10) has only this past 8 months or so, sleeping in her own bed all night, but still occasionally comes into me. If she does this my husband goes into her bed, and I don't sleep at all. Even though she is only half the size of my husband, she takes up twice as much room and wriggles :p
    My eldest, approaching teenage-dom, can sleep until lunchtime,and my youngest until about 10. Sometimes I will get to lie-in and sometimes I don't. Some days we will all sleep to lunchtime. I joke that some day my husband will come from work, and we will all still be asleep!
    But I find that sleeping late, does not make up for, a good night's sleep.
    I cannot wait to get them back to school, to get some proper rest. School finished here on 28th June, and as we went on holiday on 23rd ( a few days early), it feels like summer has already lasted a life time ;)