1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

At what stage in the application process do schools contact referees?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by whereflowersgrow, Jan 23, 2020.

1. whereflowersgrow

whereflowersgrow New commenter

Is it at the final interview when deciding between the final few candidates, or earlier in the process, or does it vary?

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

With the introduction of online applications more and more references seem to be requested for every applicant.

In the good old days talking up a reference was the last stage of an application and not the first.

3. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

I've known it happen at every stage: the most surprising for me was ten years ago now when I applied for a job in Prague at 7.30am at the start of the school day and, half an hour later, my headteacher was knocking on my classroom door asking, 'Err..... is there something you were going to tell me?' I had been planning to tell him that day (at lunchtime) but the school clearly beat me to it!

4. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

It will depend on the recruiter and how they see your application. But as others have said it used to be the final stage but these days it can be before you are put on a short list or even a long list! For me it's a sign of the general lack of quality among recruiters these days that anything goes!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

A salutary tale . . . you should always talk to your HT before applying anywhere, because some Heads can be very upset to hear first of your plans from the other school. See here: http://bit.do/Clickk

In general, but not always, a reference request is sent out when the shortlisting decision has been made, although some schools will Longlist, ask for references, then Shortlist after that.

Best wishes

6. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

It's becoming increasingly common (and extremely unprofessional and irritating in my opinion) to obtain references pre-interview.