1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

At the name of Jesus...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gorgybaby, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Was singing this in my head upstairs just now and Mr Gorgy began singing it very lustily downstairs. We are of the daily school assembly generation and know lots of hymns. Although an ex choirboy Mr G is terribly anti religion and I am not a great believer. It is not Sunday - spooky that we were both singing it. I think it is spooky anyway. Can't think of anything we had been talking about that might have set us both off separately.

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Having spent over 30 years on my knees. as a practising........well when i wasnt standing and walking..or sleeping i regularly have spontanous songs arriving......usually chorous from early childhood or teen years.......
    Travelliing down from scotland on the bike i found hyge anmaounts arriving and even preached a sermon in my head...........shame no one herad it as it was good lol
    Even today travelling hom en the care songs came'out of nowhere' and even my wife commented as to the fact she hasnt heard that one for over 35 years!

3. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I haven't sung this hymn for ages- and when I went to Mass this morning, it was the opening hymn. I do love singing it- in fact, it was one of the hymns my (atheist) OH chose to have at our wedding. He obviously remembers it from school assemblies too!

4. I haven't sung this for years as our church sings modern songs and now it is going round my head,
    I loved school hymns because I liked singing. I also loved Singing Together, for those old enough to remember it.

5. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Isn't it sad that these wonderful rousing hymns aren't being sung. At our church they have different Masses with different types of hymn so we do get the traditional and the modern ones. There are some lovely modern ones too.

6. Yes - I love the old ones but we have huge student/ young family congregations and they like modern songs. They are really lovely young people so I don't mind as long as they don't mess with Christmas / Easter!

7. Which tune? Being the last of the school assembly hymn singing assembly generation - we didn't do it when I got secondary school in 1984 - I know two different tunes for the hymn.