1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

At the end of the term are you part of the class or the person clearing up

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by kanddd, Dec 16, 2010.

1. In my school it is mixed. Usually we are not included in the end of term activities. After all there is so much to do, taking down displays, putting up backing paper for the next year. Making sure all the children have their pe kits etc.

2. In my school it is mixed. Usually we are not included in the end of term activities. After all there is so much to do, taking down displays, putting up backing paper for the next year. Making sure all the children have their pe kits etc.

3. Not quite sure what your point is?...
    The TAs in our school are asked to do the tasks that they would do at any other time of the year (ie the backing of boards, taking down displays etc) but they are still part of the class.
    From a teacher point of view, TAs may be asked to work (what they perceive to be) harder but they leave the school tomorrow at hometime with no planning, marking, assessment sheets etc etc for the whole of the holidays.
    Do you think teachers should be doing these tasks during the holiday time so TAs can join in with the Christmas party?

4. You are assuming that there are no TAs around with responsibilities. I also have work to complete over my unpaid holiday.
    I did not mean for anyone to get upset by the question.

5. Sorry, I didn't get upset by the question.
    I just didn't get the point of the question.

6. R13

R13 New commenter

At the end of term I'm a bit of both really. Trying to run around and clear up and make sure everything is sorted as much as possible whilst also trying to include myself in social activities and friendly chats between colleagues AND making sure I get to wish all the children the very best.
    PS - I'm the Head.

7. bluebell27

bluebell27 New commenter

I am very much part of the class and what goes on in school. For instance, we are still beavering away making Christmas cards, calendars, etc and practicing for Christmas play ( I did the music so was needed for practice) as well as the general stuff such as making props and costumes. We do not take all our displays down but do it as and when it needs doing.
    We had a secondary school band visit this week and all staff were free to watch it if they wanted to. (I did and I enjoyed it.)
    Have to say this week has been hectic with the Christmas activities and would have liked some time out to do the mundane jobs of tidying up but I go with the flow and where the need is most and it all gets done in the end. I should think most primary school TAs will be the same?

8. I am a HLTA and have been covering (on my own) my Y3 teacher who has been has been off all week, so I have extremely busy planning, teaching,organising cards, clalendars displays, party and generally finishing off everything, plus supporting the 2 christmas concerts and resourses..now well and truely ready for that break..

9. What do you have to do ? How many hours will it take ?

Will you claim extra hours and if not why not ?

10. Good questions....

11. I have some risk assessments to complete for some new build work that is going on in the school, which should be ready for the time we return.
    I have to complete a trip risk assessment for an activity in the first week back of term.
    I have to assess the chidren's work for a couple of groups that I work with.
    I want to read the book that the class will be reading next term.

I was unable to complete them at the end of the school term because I, and the majority of other TAs, were taken off timetable to clear the school of all Christmas stuff and make resources for the classes next term project.

12. Will you put in a claim ? How long will it take you ?

13. I spent the entire week opening presents!