1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

At last, the truth about teaching overseas.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by SMT dude, Mar 22, 2012.

1. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Just to encourage those few slowcoaches who have not yet grabbed a print or Kindle version of this bestseller.
    The book was very favourably written up (March 21st) on Amazon's site, by one 'flotsam', who awarded it <u>five stars</u>, and wrote a review headed, 'Does What It Says On The Tin':
    'Downloaded this while waiting for a flight at Heathrow. Never has time passed so fast. I laughed out loud and at the same time felt very worried by what was written. Obviously this person knows exactly what goes on. My only criticism is that it does have some profanity in it. For the price of a magazine this is both entertaining as well as being useful for anyone thinking of teaching abroad or parents thinking of enrolling their children in international schools.'
    That should decide any of you who may still be hesitating.
    "Never has time passed so fast" may sound like a clunky old hyperbole, but bear in mind that this was <u>the first time 'flotsam' had ever reviewed a book on Amazon</u>, and his style will no doubt gradually become more polished - if he ever finds any more five-star masterworks to review, that is.
    I put in a stint myself at Heathrow recently, but there were hundreds of passengers laughing out loud over their Kindles in the departure area (where time, as always, passed very fast indeed), so that 'flotsam' remains safely anonymous.
    Well not entiirely. The congenitally cynical might attribute to him the initials R.L.

2. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Just to encourage those few slowcoaches who have not yet grabbed a print or Kindle version of this bestseller.
    The book was very favourably written up (March 21st) on Amazon's site, by one 'flotsam', who awarded it <u>five stars</u>, and wrote a review headed, 'Does What It Says On The Tin':
    'Downloaded this while waiting for a flight at Heathrow. Never has time passed so fast. I laughed out loud and at the same time felt very worried by what was written. Obviously this person knows exactly what goes on. My only criticism is that it does have some profanity in it. For the price of a magazine this is both entertaining as well as being useful for anyone thinking of teaching abroad or parents thinking of enrolling their children in international schools.'
    That should decide any of you who may still be hesitating.
    "Never has time passed so fast" may sound like a clunky old hyperbole, but bear in mind that this was <u>the first time 'flotsam' had ever reviewed a book on Amazon</u>, and his style will no doubt gradually become more polished - if he ever finds any more five-star masterworks to review, that is.
    I put in a stint myself at Heathrow recently, but there were hundreds of passengers laughing out loud over their Kindles in the departure area (where time, as always, passed very fast indeed), so that 'flotsam' remains safely anonymous.
    Well not entiirely. The congenitally cynical might attribute to him the initials R.L.

3. Talc_1234

Talc_1234 New commenter

What is it you are talking about?

That is apart from shamelessly plugging your book

4. Oh dear.
    Two 'oh dears' in one madrugada is even too much for simplistic old me. I thought the Grand Old Dude of (can't remember where) was plugging the Kindle he so abhors.

5. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Not my book, O fragrant Talc.
    The whole point is, that I have no book to plug.
    Therefore, anyone with their name on the front cover of a newly published tome becomes a target for my childish envy.
    Thence, the spiteful urge to point out that as well as coming here a-spamming, our author reviewed his own book on Amazon.
    He'll be happy enough - no publicity is bad publicity.
    But that his book is a bummer, well, as we crude Marxists say, this is 'established as a matter of objective reality'. Also, Theo Griff has said so.

6. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

Since the shameless plugging continues, please check out my kalahari eco-coral, only $89.99 weight loss supplement with no dieting required.
    Used notes carefully concealed in an envelope only to:

The Evil Tokoloshe
    Under Your Bed
    Wherever You Are

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

8. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

If you need to plug a book, go ahead and plug <strike>mine</strike> a friends of mines; I believe you have already read it. [​IMG] Currently retailing for 99c.