1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

**** at interview lessons

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by marymoocow, Jun 21, 2011.

1. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I don't really know what I did wrong, I just couldn't seem to maintain attention/ behaviour in a carpet session. When I applied for my present job, interview lessons weren't particularly used. I usually pride myself on good behaviour management and my lesson obs are always good or outstanding. However my last interview lesson was pants and I couldnt get them to listen and it went down hill from there, even I would have given it unsatisfactory and obviously I didnt get the job. Even as a supply teacher in the past I never had this problem and I work in a very challenging school. The school did get an ofsted recently that critisised behaviour and the other candidates also commented on poor behaviour. However I have another interview tomorrow and it has knocked my confidence a bit. I am hoping it was just this school. However I would be grateful for any tips as it is such an unnatural experience. Thanks

2. marymoocow

I don't really know what I did wrong, I just couldn't seem to maintain attention/ behaviour in a carpet session. When I applied for my present job, interview lessons weren't particularly used. I usually pride myself on good behaviour management and my lesson obs are always good or outstanding. However my last interview lesson was pants and I couldnt get them to listen and it went down hill from there, even I would have given it unsatisfactory and obviously I didnt get the job. Even as a supply teacher in the past I never had this problem and I work in a very challenging school. The school did get an ofsted recently that critisised behaviour and the other candidates also commented on poor behaviour. However I have another interview tomorrow and it has knocked my confidence a bit. I am hoping it was just this school. However I would be grateful for any tips as it is such an unnatural experience. Thanks

3. Please don't let it get you down, from everything you said i'm sure the behaviour wasn't a reflection on you. You said you have great behaviour management, great lesson observations, and that the other candidates also struggled...so it's most likely that the children are just generally very difficult!
    I'm sure I don't need to say this as you sound really experienced, but just remember that, particularly with a new class, they need to be 100% clear about what you are expecting them to do. This can be more difficult with a completely unfamiliar class, who also don't know you, but make sure you plan the activity carefully from start to finish (however, interview-nerves can often send any planning out of the window!).
    Keep your chin up, tomorrow is a whole new interview, and no doubt will go so much differently! Good luck, and don't worry, you'll be great!

4. Try not to keep them on the carpet too long and make your input interesting, interactive and of a good pace. You coul try a timer or use a teaching assistant to focus those not listening. If I see children wandering off I usually ask them a question or draw them back in. Or even just reminder of what they should e doing. If your input and plenary are exciting enough it should keep all the children interested.

Not sure if this helps will think some more.

5. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Hi,
    Sorry you had a mare.
    Sounds like that class were b*ggers.
    Probably the same for everyone.
    My advice would be to take plenty of stickers. Take 2 minutes at the start to do the 'Good
    good looking, good listening' bit and inform them that this is what you're looking for and it
    will earn a sticker. Then notice someone lsitening straight away, give em a sticker and say why -
    Then again after another few minutes but don't say anything. They'll all get the message.
    I'd keep talking just reaching over to put stickers on jumpers. Then when you've finished
    sticker em all up and be remembered as lovely!
    Good luck!

<u></u>

6. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Apologies for the formatting.

Can't be ***** editing.

7. When the children sit down on the carpet ask them all to get their listening ears out of their pockets and attach them, ask them to put their thinking caps on, and lock their lips and throw away the key (do actions with these) I always find that this works really well for an inital intro to what is expected.
    Try to talk quietly that way they have to listen carefully to be able to hear you. Use positive praise to the children sitting nicely "Everyone look at Jess, she's sitting beautifully, well done Jess" seems to sometimes do the trick. Get the class on your side. Ask the ones being buggars to hand something out for you or be your helper, this way it distracts them from distracting others!
    If it suddenly gets too noisy or hyperactive shout "Freeze like a statue" if a child begins to speak or move say "I didn't realise statues spoke??" then carry on with the lesson.
    At the end of the lesson, get them to line up by the door or move back to their seats like a certain character (creep like a mouse, walk like a scary monster....etc) They love this and it gets them into line super quickly!
    Just some tips that I have used in interviews that have worked well with children I didn't know.
    Vuitton xx

8. marymoocow

Thanks the lesson went really well but didnt get the job, the internal got it. The suggestions were all things I would use with my own children, but think I forget with the stress of the situation. It helped to focus me and I even wrote them into my plan to remind me and to show I would do this if I forgot. I'm not too upset, it would have been a lot closer but I prefer my school.

9. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Glad you had a better experience this time.
    It's always the same - operating under such stress - you do forget. You slow down, you speed up, you garble, you write upside down and back to front (I've done this). Will get better - it's a difficult thing to master all the planning and teaching bits and then be relaxed enough to show them a bit of yourself.
    I think the whole interview lesson is a nonsense really - just another hoop and it doesn't actually highlight the people who will be best at the job. I've seen some very good ones from teachers who turned out to be just as flawed as the rest of us!
    Anyway ... just wanted to say well done!

10. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Never mind, [​IMG]
    Think of it as a lucky escape.
    Next time, remember it could all go pear shaped at the drop of a hat, throw caution to the wind and just enjoy meeting the children and being in the school. Think visit.
    I find having something in a bag is what gets the real characters to shush up!