1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

At a dead end?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by ibfootballcoaching, Mar 7, 2017.

1. ibfootballcoaching

ibfootballcoaching New commenter

I qualified for my QTS in 2016 for secondary PE. I had spent years working in schools sports and football coaching particularly at primary level and as a TA before taking the chance to teach.

Now I live in the south west and love where I live and dont want to move as I also have a small but dream job in football (3 hours a week) my partner is also currently studying in the region too.

Now there is so much competition for PE jobs and after several applications without reply it is getting me down, I am working as a cover supervisor in a school as a way of getting in the door and as a better option to supply. On the whole I enjoy the job but also feel it is not why I became a teacher, and the financial implications means I am breaking even after bills petrol ETC.

At 28 I am at a point of how long can I wait and keep applying for jobs, I have looked at options to move away also but the option also hosts financial implications. The struggle I feel I am having along with the negativity around the proffession currently puts me in a difficult situation.

So do I leave the Career before I have started or plug away and hope?

2. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

Can you juggle or unicycle?

Do you offer the same as every other PE teacher to schools?

Kevin

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

i was in a similar situation as you @ibfootballcoaching about 10 years ago. i gave up looking in the Uk and moved abroad. i havent looked back since. worked in some amazing places, earn a ridiculous amount of money, saved a tonne, and really lived a great life.

trust me, i am NEVER coming back to the UK, complete waste of time.

4. ibfootballcoaching

It has crossed my mind but do you not a few years experience and complete NQT?
    I have considered primary and did look into TSST for maths but after lots of time in the Maths department i dont think it is the best move.

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

NQT is definitely not required, its only needed to work in British state schools. Most international schools wont even know what it is.

yes experience is important, but although your "classroom" time is not huge, you do have other skills that international schools will like. football is huge, and the fact that you can coach after school clubs etc is a big bonus. Maths is always a shortage subject internationally. Physics teachers are by far the most sort after teachers, especially ones that can teach the younger years.

you never know until you try....one word of advice, avoid Spain like the plague, dreadful schools, and the money is rubbish. look outside of western europe if you want to make money, and the middle east is not where all the money is anymore, look to Asia or China.

i have always earned more than anyone on the main payscale in the UK, and i am just a basic classroom teacher, and i have taught in 3 continents. it is possible as a basic classroom teacher to take home in excess of 70 000GBP a year (but obviously these jobs are rare).

6. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Plus there's more important things than career for some people, as many people might not want to leave family. Depends on your situation. Maybe try coaching outside schools/holiday programmes too.

7. ibfootballcoaching

I do work ith the local NGB too during the holidays, I had to take a back step for a bit as was too much at times but stepping it up again to 2-3 days a week during half terms etc.
    withworking most holidays too it makes you wonder whether its just worth getting a 9-5