1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

At a crossroads...

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by NathanJHaley, Jun 3, 2020.

1. NathanJHaley

NathanJHaley New commenter

Hi everyone,

I'm at a bit of a crossroads. I did a primary PGCE and passed with flying colours in 2017 and got my QTS confirmed in early 2018. I've always struggled to get a job apart from supply or support because I get super anxious in an interview. My feedback is usually along the lines of "you did really well, but unfortunately someone just edged it". Consequently I'm yet to complete my NQT year in Primary. The longer this goes on, the less likely I think I am to get a primary teaching job because SLTs will take one look at my qualifications and wonder why I haven't completed my NQT year yet.

I'm now at a crossroads because I can't keep going through such an interview process, spending days preparing lessons to be told "you were this close" every time. I have been working in FE supporting challenging students since February. I'm really enjoying getting to know the curriculum and the relationship being a bit more relaxed between staff and students. I've applied for a couple of posts so far but I'm hearing nothing. Would anyone else be willing to share advice/stories about moving into FE or outside of classroom teaching? I am worried that the fact that I've not completed my NQT year and the fact it's in Primary Ed is presenting a barrier when I'm applying for jobs within and outside of education and it's getting tedious spending hours everyday looking for work with barely any conversion into an interview let alone a job offer.

Thanks in advance,
    A frustrated NQT!

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Nathan

My advice would be to do some more supply teaching to build your confidence back up. There will never be a huge number of jobs going in FE but there will be in primary in the years to come.

Don't give up yet - but in addition to whatever else you are doing get signed up to a couple of agencies and get some more experience.

I entirely sympathize with your nervousness on interview days. I've had many interviews over the years and the majority have been unsuccessful. I had a run of 12 interviews in a row some years ago when I didn't get the job. In recent years I have got better - i spent a year on supply about 6 years ago and every interview I've done since then (3) - I've got the job.

I may decide to move on again next academic year so lets hope I haven't lost the magic touch.

P.S Don't use your real name and photo on this site.

steely1 and TheoGriff like this.
  3. grahamfrost

grahamfrost New commenter

Have you thought of asking someone to run some practice interviews with you, Nathan?
    When I was working in recruitment and training we used to do that for people who were nervous of being interviewed for internal promotions.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm sorry that you have had such a difficult time. Peakster's advice is spot on, and I hope it's useful.

Especially this bit:

The photo you can deal with yourself. The name may need you to contact the help service, which used to be and still may be:
    [​IMG]
    help@tes.com

Tagging the two senior moderators @mattf12345 and @becky_m1995or comment but they haven't replied to taggings for some time and I don't know if they are still with TES.

Keep safe everyone