1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Asylum processing could be on old ferries.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lapinrose, Oct 1, 2020.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Not sure what I think of this, it may be a good idea, but I am uneasy about it.

"Asylum seeking migrants could be processed on disused ferries moored off the coast, according to reports.

The suggestion came after it was also claimed that the UK was considering sending migrants to centres in Papua New Guinea, Moldova, or Morocco.

Government sources refused to be drawn on the reports, stating that the UK was examining how other nations handled migrants with a view to “informing” the British situation.

According to The Times, Number 10 is considering buying retired ferries and converting the vessels into processing centres to house asylum seekers off the UK coast.

The newspaper also stated the Home Office discussed moving migrants to decommissioned oil platforms in the North Sea for processing, but the idea was rejected.".

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/asylum-processing-centres-could-placed-230156742.html

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Bringing back the hulks. People will be able to blame the migrants for spreading dangerous diseases just like the days when the Irish were imprisoned on hulks on the Mersey.

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Spot on:

List of Prison Hulks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_prison_hulks

'Vote Tory and head straight back to the late 18th Century' - looks like the slogan for the next election. ;)

4. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

I thought the "less eligibility" approach to people in desperate circumstances had gone out with the abolition of the Poor Law.

ajrowing and Morninglover like this.
  5. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Have they put Grayling in charge? ;):D

nomad, modelmaker and ajrowing like this.
  6. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Is it not all just a Priti Patel PR campaign?

'I am onto it folks, hard woman me, I will take care of it. Just give me a bit more time'

Her supporters lap it up but essentially.....nothing changes?

Oscillatingass, ajrowing and Kandahar like this.
  7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

No mention of the River Mersey where, my old microbiology lecturer claimed, Irish felons were at the centre of a spread of Cholera. Typical bloody, lying Scouser.

8. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Don't the lovely Aussies store their migrants on offshore islands? No criticism of them.

border_walker likes this.
  9. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

Really? I've seen a heck of a lot of criticism of Australia's horrendous treatment of asylum seekers. Or am I missing some sarcasm?

Spoofer4114, chelsea2 and ajrowing like this.
  10. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I suspect Patel is hoping the illegal immigrants will hear about these "potential plans" and be discouraged from channel hopping. I doubt it will work.

Kandahar and dumpty like this.
  11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If they park the ferries half way across they won't have as far to paddle!

Oscillatingass likes this.
  12. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

magic surf bus likes this.
  13. ajrowing

ajrowing Star commenter

Why stop at half way, I wonder if the French would be amenable to having a UK asylum office in Calais, where people's details were taken and onward transport was organised them to the UK. May well solve the crisis in the Channel.

14. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

You all know the words from the Specials' song "The Lunatics Have Taken Over Asylum". All together now...

ajrowing likes this.
  15. ajrowing

ajrowing Star commenter

I wonder if perhaps rather than just a few old ferries, one could get a whole fleet of them and anchor them stem to stern for the length of the channel, that would stop migrants getting through.

16. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

If you harboured Boat 1 50 miles off Giants Causeway and pointed all the adjoining ones left, I could see that working.
    Not in the interests of the most desperate people in the world but hey!
    in the light of today's news, thinking any woman in India might be falling into that category. That many rapes reported, how the hell many go unreported for fear of retribution, honour murder or no hope of future marriage?

monicabilongame likes this.
  17. modelmaker

Isn't ironic that the Leave campaign relied so heavily on stopping migrants crossing our borders to get the racists on board to get the referendum over the line, but since the leaders of the Leave campaign are now in power, the migrant situation has got worse and they haven't a clue what to do about it?

It's high time Brexiters took the government to task over failing to meet the promise they held most dear.

18. ajrowing

ajrowing Star commenter

I thought all migration was Tony Blair's problem because he let Poland join the EU.

19. modelmaker

The trouble with Brexiters is their lack of historical knowledge. They are probably unaware of how many brave Polish airmen fought in the Battle of Britain.

To be honest, I'm not surprised. I was born in the post war years when Britain was being rebuilt. All the kids in my school knew stories about the hardships of war, our comics had heroic cartoons of brave Tommies clouting German troops with Batman kappows and captions that read "Take that Fritz!". We saw films on the telly showing how it was Hollywood actors in Yankee uniforms that actually won the war, but so far as our school was concerned, the war never happened.

Of course the other thing, was that the Soviet Union had control of Poland, so they were obviously Commie b.astards by the time we were being taught and so easy not to mention how Polish people were our wartime allies. The migrants who managed to escape after the German invasion that is, but were the salt of the earth when it came to fighting alongside British airmen and troops.

The Poles were victims of politics. It's so sad that they get undeserved disrespect by knuckle-dragging racists.

monicabilongame and ajrowing like this.
  20. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

It's high time you quietened down given that you sat on the fence.

Oscillatingass likes this.