1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Astronomy /space days in school

Discussion in 'Science' started by groovybpb, Jun 4, 2018.

1. groovybpb

groovybpb New commenter

Hi, Does anyone know where I can find a list of people who can come into schools and deliver a space or astronomy day. I have had experiences with Isaac Newton or Van Gough visiting for a day but I'd like to organise a space day.

Thanks.

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

https://www.stem.org.uk/enrichment

You'll find a list of people offering activities and also the opportunity to request a STEM ambassador. So you could get someone from places like Airbus (Space) or ESA to come in and talk. Also try your local university if they offer an Astrophysics/Cosmology course.

3. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

4. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Check for local amature astronomical clubs who have masses of enthusiasm and probably very good telescopes they might let you peek through. I found a notice in a maritime suppliers shop (Hull).

5. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

Where in the country are you?

6. Bluelamb

Bluelamb New commenter

7. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

You've had Newton and Van Gough visit your school??? And there's me thinking there were no older teachers left in education... you must be almost 300 years old!

8. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I tell my students that Newton taught me physics and even that Pythagoras taught me maths. I think some of them believe me!

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I used to tell mine that Charles Darwin sat next to me at school!

10. starmandave

starmandave New commenter

A visit from a Mobile Planetarium, such as the Auriga Star dome will have the whole school buzzing.
    we cover the whole country with extremely competitive prices, and totally unique and exclusive shows