1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Asthma on school transport

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by gbr9282r, May 4, 2012.

1. How does anyone else manage Asthma on the journey to and from school?

Aside from informing the transport companies of the pupils on each bus who have the condition what else can we do?

The pupils with asthma all have their spare inhalers in school readily avalible but most do not bother carrying one on their person on the way to and from school so if anyone of them has an attack on transport it could be very serious.

Thanks.

2. How does anyone else manage Asthma on the journey to and from school?

Aside from informing the transport companies of the pupils on each bus who have the condition what else can we do?

The pupils with asthma all have their spare inhalers in school readily avalible but most do not bother carrying one on their person on the way to and from school so if anyone of them has an attack on transport it could be very serious.

Thanks.

3. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

Surely it should be the responsibility of the parent to ensure thatt hey have medication with them when going to school?

4. R13

R13 New commenter

Who runs the transport? If it is run by the LA for example I would suggest you point out to them the risk they are not managing very well and if it is run by the school you need to sort it out.
    The other poster who stated the parents should take responsibility is in my view stating what perhaps should happen ideally, but will not always do that. When the parent passes over a child to transport in our setting then the child becomes the responsibility of the school when on our transport and of the LA when on theirs.
    If, as I expect, the transport staff have no plans to take on training etc needed then a protocol is needed. It should state when to call ambulance or when to keep coming to school or to return home, in case of emergency

5. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

I somehow doubt if the drivers - whose main responsibility is to drive the pupils on his/her bus safely - either know the names of most pupils, or will remember whether little Johnny is asthmatic or not - and often they will be driving pupils from more than one school, in some places I know.
    In secondary (I realise primary is rather different0)responsibility must lie with the parents and pupils themselves...

6. I would certainly be inclined to flag up in regular letters home the importance of ensuring that kids have their inhalers. I don't know what else you could do. You could ask the transport company what their responsibilities are? Remarkably few, I would imagine. I bet the drivers are CRBd and that is all.