1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

asthma and steroids

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by 5klass, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Currently on antibiotics for v nasty chest infection but GP has also suggested 5 day dose of oral steroids if peak flow does not improve. He has given me the prescription and told me to use it if pf still has not gone up after antibiotics begin to kick in. Feeling much better and pf improving but still very erratic. Never had to resort to oral steroids before (currently just on Seretide and reliever inhaler). Not sure whether to wait a bit longer or go for the strong stuff... Anyone been in a similar position?

2. Currently on antibiotics for v nasty chest infection but GP has also suggested 5 day dose of oral steroids if peak flow does not improve. He has given me the prescription and told me to use it if pf still has not gone up after antibiotics begin to kick in. Feeling much better and pf improving but still very erratic. Never had to resort to oral steroids before (currently just on Seretide and reliever inhaler). Not sure whether to wait a bit longer or go for the strong stuff... Anyone been in a similar position?

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Seretide contains steroids.

4. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

Yes - twice in the past 15 years and I wouldn't hesitate. They really make a difference and because it's for a short time they don't do any damage or have any side effects. I had my second dose 3 weeks ago and it was almost immediate relief - I slept!

5. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

Seratide is a steriod inhaler for long term relief but you cannot compare this with oral steriods - the two are totally different.

6. I wouldn't worry about such a short course of steroids. My daughter had to be taken to A & E a few years ago with a bad asthma attack due to a chest infection. They gave her a 3 day course of steroids which made a huge difference. Such a short dose will not do any damage to you and may make a big difference to your breathing issues.

7. Did the doctor give you a PF target? Mine
    normally says if it's below 350 (will be different
    for each person though) to start taking steroids.
    I normally have a few courses of steroids over the year,
    they really work! Side effects for me are they cause me to
    be quite hyper and I never get much sleep!

8. To the OP,
    You should have an asthma care plan - if not once better you need to make one - that way in the future you will know what to do and when.... - it could save your life...
    AsthmaUK would be a website well worth looking at and joining the forum.
    Steroids have pretty much saved my life! Along with an amazing doctor who helped me to finally get some releift during one of my chronic outbreaks.
    As others have said, short-term use is not really problematic - daily for years is more an issue.... but even then it can be the less of two evils.
    As a rule of thumb, if your PF drops to less than 70% of your usual best, then steroids are usually advised.
    Less than 50% for me is hospitilisation. And once I get to between thirty and forty percent things are looking grim...
    Geniegirl - I wish that I could get mine close to your PF!!!! [​IMG]

9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I could have written that post myself!

10. Many thanks to all the people who have taken time to post. I do have an asthma care plan and my optimum pf should be between 350-370. Last week I was down to 250... but part of the problem was that every time I took a deep breath to try to blow it triggered a coughing fit, so difficult to get an accurate reading! Feeling so much better but have been tucked up inside most of weekend and today. GP suggested that as long as pf was heading back up towards 300 I should be ok; any downward movement and I should go straight back to see him. Will see what tomorrow brings but very reassured by all the comments and feel ok now about using prescription now if necessary.
    Just got to avoid laughing too much...

11. My eczema cream also contains steroids but I don't swallow it!!
    My concern was about starting oral steroids for the first time - steroids in other forms have been keeping me going for years....!!

12. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

25 years ago, it was common to put kids like my son with particularly dangerous and brittle asthma on weeks of steroids, starting on 80 micrograms - a massive dose. The pediatrician was concerned that he would have growth problems and that his fertility would be compromised. At 33, he is 6 foot 4, with his fifth child on the way. It remains to be seen whether such doses in a young child will affect his bones later on, but at the time, as he lay dying in a hospital bed, there was no choice.