1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Asthma and chest infections

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by toastandtea, Feb 6, 2019.

1. toastandtea

toastandtea New commenter

I’ve now been off work for 6 weeks with severe asthma and I’m really worried I’m going to be managed out of my job because I’ve have had several absences over the last few years. I was meant to return this week but have got a chest infection which is making my asthma worse. What’s the likelihood of being dismissed on ill health?

2. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Have you seen occ health? You should have been referred and if not then you need to ask for it.

I have/had asthma caused by colds and it got far worse when I moved to my school 15 years ago. I endured horrible winters when I taught in a Victorian classroom that was damp and running with condensation. One of govs at the time was a doctor and he pushed for us to have priority renovations under health and safety reasons (for the children as well as me). The Diocese funded £70 000 work of work in two classrooms which mainly related to a super ventilation system.

The difference has been amazing for me - no more time off for asthma, chest infections etc and the same for the children.

The reason for this - is your workplace fit for purpose?

Please press for referral to occ health.