1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AST post - can I apply?

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by Anon92181738, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Anon92181738

Anon92181738 New commenter

Hello
    I am looking for some advice on the following please:
    I have seen a position in a different school for an MFL AST - in the advert it states someone who is an accredited AST or has the ability to become accredited. I am currently working in a private school (have been in current school for 18 months) but wish to return to the state sector. I am responsible for Spanish and in my previous school I was lead Teacher for Spanish. I am now in my fifth year of teaching. Although I have considered applying for HOD roles, I am more attracted to the role of an AST. I have looked into what the position involves, application process and standards. My results so far in my current school have been very good and I have had excellent feedback on my teaching in my current and previous school.
    As the ad. states someone who has the ability to become an AST I am guessing this is like an ad for aspiring AST? Would this be something I could apply for ? If they did not take on an AST but someone they thought could become one, how would it work with the evidence provided by the Head etc? Would they wait until you had been at the school say 6-12 months to see whether you were capable etc? Also, would me being in a private school go against me?
    Any info./advice would be really appreciated.
    Thanks

2. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

The AST application form specifically asks for your current school's LA and DCSF details. This may be a problem.
    I would also wonder whether your current experience will fulfil the full range of AST standards, particularly some aspects of diversity/equality (with reference to social backgrounds), meeting the range of needs of learners (particularly if your school is selective). I would hazard a guess that an independent school is less likely to work in partnership than an LA school and one of the expectations is that you have been able to influence practice beyond your own school context. Becoming an AST is not just about being an outstanding teacher in your own classroom - it is about having the proven ability to coach/mentor and develop others.
    If you can put together a strong case for each of the required standards on the application form, I guess you may have some chance, since this is probably a "niche" market which will attract less applicants than a standard MFL post.

3. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

Sorry, to answer your other question - normally you would be assessed in your current school.