1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AST Pay - what should I ask for?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by teacher_anon, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I am about to book in my observation day to qualify as an AST and of course that means the dreaded pay discussion with my Head has to happen. I know ASTs are paid on the leadership pay scale, but the Head/Governors choose a 5 point range on that scale. Problem is, I don't know what's reasonable to ask for!
    To put this into context, I am currently on M6 and have a TLR of just under £3k/year, thus earning approx. £34k.
    I am assuming that I will lose my TLR when I become an AST. Given that, going onto point 1 of the leadership scale (and no TLR) would mean about the same pay as NOT being an AST, and going through threshold. That doesn't sound right, does it?!
    What did other ASTs start out on, and how does this relate to their responsibilities?

2. Thanks to both of you - my school is an academy and they are absorbing the cost. I think they are aiming to eventually have anAST/Master Teacher in every dept. They are aware of the possible change to Master Teacher and would support me for that if I haven't gone through the AST assessment in time. Lucky me!

3. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

I asked for, and got the old point 22, about £46k then, must be about 9 years ago. Do not undervalue yourself. I simply wished to earn as much as I was when head of a large and good faculty in inner London.the fact that the job proved awful and I left within 6 months is neither here nor there.
    Good luck.

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Equally, do not overvalue yourself. The world today is very different to the world of 9 years ago...

5. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

If you had included the full quote, I simply wished to continue to earn my previous salary.
    I did not wish to seek a pay cut for doing a different job. I still had the same bills to pay.
    Please read the post fully.
    I do not overvalue my experience.
    I do not think I was overpaid then.

6. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Indeed, I fixated on the value and lost the context. Apologies.